Songs by Bands that Don't Exist

The film credits list the Stillwater musicians only by the names of the characters in the movie, but the songs were performed by a group of well-known professional musicians including Mike McCready of Pearl Jam.

Similarly, the Stooges-esque band Wyld Rattz in Velvet Goldmine featured Mark Arm (his vocals were replaced by Ewan McGregor in the film and on the soundtrack album), Mike Watt, and original Stooges guitarist Ron Asheton. They enjoyed working together so much that they recorded some original songs as the Wyld Rattz, and I believe they also toured briefly.

I can’t believe that no one’s mentioned The Ruttles.

Just to back track for a moment. Huh. I always heard that phrase as “when we did ‘smoke two joints’ that was Jack from The Toys”. So in other words, there was a guest appearance by some dude named Jack in some band called The Toys.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Carry on…

Yep. And Adam Schlesinger, of Fountains of Wayne and Ivy fame, wrote the song. The shame is, neither of those two bands have actually had any hits.

I believe ‘Shapes of Things To Come’ was originally performed by the Yardbirds, and has also been recorded by Jeff Beck Group and the Black Crowes. Are we talking about the same song here?

No, different song.
I could sing the whole thing to you, but I’ll just post the chorus:

“And nothing can change the shape of things to come.”

digs

Nope, the Surfaris were a real band. Possible source of confusion: the drummer-vocalist-primary songwriter was named Ron Wilson, but as far as I know, he’ s unrelated to the Beach Boys Wilsons. You could be thinking of Jan and Dean, whose biggest hit “Surf City” was written by Brian Wilson and featured backing vocals from Brian. Or maybe The Honeys, a female group produced by Brian Wilson; some of the Beach Boys sang backup on their stuff.

The first ** Foo Fighters** album was just Dave Grohl messing around in the studio by himself (except for the guitar part of X-Static). After the tracks were complete he formed a touring band, who posed for the photos in the CD booklet. Subsequent albums featured a band, which consisted of Dave Grohl and whoever. I think there are as many former members of the band as current.

Let’s see… Van Halen ceased to exist in 1985, but songs were released under their name for another 13 years.

Wow, man, you’re serious.

oo ee, oo ah ah…