Songs for Weddings

This is a spin-off from the Favorite Songs thread.

What songs did you choose for your wedding, or would you choose if getting married now?

I had 2 at my wedding in 1979:

Follow Me by John Denver
Wedding Song by Peter, Paul, & Mary

Sue from El Paso
members.aol.com/majormd/index.html

This may sound weird, but since I didn’t attend my high school graduation ceremony (had better ways to waste 4 hours of my life and thought getting a HS diploma wasn’t such a great accomplishment – still don’t) I always wanted “Pomp and Circumstance” instead of “Here Comes the Bride.” Just liked the song better. I ended up getting married in Vegas and the ceremony package included “traditional” music. (In other words, what was already programed into the automated organ-thingie.)

The first two that come to mind are “Cross My Heart” and “Check Yes or No”.

For the actual procession down the aisle, it will be an evening wedding, and the space will be dark, with candles being lit. Then (oh stop, it’s a great song for this!) Enya’s “On Your Shore”…but that’s only one aspect of what I’m doing. I’m really pissed that Etta James’ “At Last” is suddenly all over the place, because I picked it 2 years ago for my opening, pre-procession song. Darn.

Too often, we lose sight of life’s simple pleasures…Remember, when
someone
annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT it only takes 4
muscles to extend your arm and SMACK the person right upside the head.

There’s nothing like “Loving You” by Minnie Ripperton. Though I doubt anyone else can do it nearly as well.

Hmmm . . . the part from Star Wars where Princess Leia hands out the medals. I always thought that would be a great substitute for the usual wedding march.

And Peter Gabriel’s In Your Eyes, the live version.

“I’m surprised that you’ve never been told before, that you’re lovely, that you’re perfect, and that somebody wants you.” - Semisonic, f.n.p

My husband and I eloped, so we didn’t have music & stuff this time. But he’s my second husband. My first wedding was the full-blown Princess Bride thing. For my processional, I had “Trumpet Voluntaire,” and the recessional was “Ode to Joy.” Our wedding dance was Paul Stookey’s “Wedding Song,” which I had first heard when I was about 7 or 8 years old, and swore I would have played when & if I ever got married. My sister did something that I thought was terminally hip at her wedding–for her recessional, she had Elton John’s version of “Goin’ to the Chapel.” Very upbeat, and had everyone nearly dancing in the aisles.

Well there’s “White Wedding” by Bill Idol. (Just kidding.) I’ve heard people use “Follow you follow me” by Genesis. Maybe that song would sound good done by a string quartet or something.
If I were going to get married again, I would use the song “Tenderness” by General Public after the ceremony. I love that song and I must admit, I got the idea from the movie “Clueless”.

Gail
“Any major dude with half a heart surely will tell you, my friend–
Any minor world that breaks apart falls together again…”
-Steely Dan

My former roommate just got married at the beginning of this summer, and her first dance song was “From This Moment On” by Shania Twain. Pretty song, for pseudo-country, and quite appropriate for weddings.

As far as love songs that I like:

“I Couldn’t Ask for More”–Edwin McCain
“Making Love Out of Nothing at All”–Air Supply

But my dream for my wedding reception is so very…well, me…that everyone I know adores the idea. I happen to be a huge fan of 80’s-early 90’s hard rock bands with big puffy hair. So what I want to do is give away personalized disposable lighters as favors (you know, with the names and the date on it, or something) and for the first dance, turn down the lights in the place and have everyone standing around the dance floor in a circle, waving their lighters back and forth as the groom and I dance to something like “I’ll Never Let You Go” or “Heaven” or “When I Look Into Your Eyes.”

My husband and I got married at a JOP, so we had a party/reception after at a bar/restaurant. Anyway, he had many, many drinks (very rare for him) and in a major goofy mood. Next thing you know, he pushes the “random” button on the CD changer we were using, and announces to everyone that whatever song comes up is going to be our wedding song. Ready for this?

CCR- Fortunate Son
Interesting…anyway, we danced (fast) and that was that!
And, believe it or not- everytime I hear that song, I choke up a bit. !!

An optimist sees an opportunity in every calamity; A pessimist sees a calamity in every opportunity.

Meatloaf’s “Paradise by the Dashboard Light.” :wink:

“Circle in the Sand” by Belinda Carlisle or “Eternal Flame” by the Bangles are the two contenders for me.

Black Sabbath’s “War Pigs”.

“Something’s Gotta Give” Sinatra
“Once Upon a Summertime” Astrud Gilberto
“Oh! Yoko” John Lennon

Tim
“My hovercraft is full of eels.”

If I could do it again, I’d have to include “Into the Mystic” by Van Morrison and “Two Step” by Dave Matthews.

We had planned an outdoors ceremony, but we got rained out, so we had to motorcade over to the reception site. My mom had the wedding music CD in and ready to go, little did she know that my brother had also popped in a few other CDs for party music. When it came time for the recessional, she keyed up the right track, but the wrong CD. Instead of the wedding song from Midsummer Night’s Dream, we faced the audience as husband and wife to (I shit you not) “You Never Can Tell”… you know, the Jack Rabbit Slim’s Twist Contest song from Pulp Fiction… way to go, Ma…

Veni, Vidi, Visa … I came, I saw, I bought.

My nominee for WORST song heard at a wedding: MC Hammer’s “Can’t Touch This”.
A cousin of mine and his hideous post-trash bride played it for their spotlight nuptial dance.

Lessee…for the processional, I had the instrumental theme from “Man From Snowy River” (anyone ever see it? Good flick). Pre-processional was a David Sanborn tune (can’t remember which). Had just a cake and ice cream reception so no dancing.

For the reception, Stand by Me.

My nominee for the worst reception song is I Heard it Through the Grapevine - they actually played this at my cousin’s wedding. Unbelievable! They’re still married, though, and it’s been almost 10 years.

The Cat In The Hat

Never been married…how about Iggy and the Stooges’ Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell?

Not married yet, but I like “I’ll Back You Up,” by Dave Matthews.