Songs that scan to other songs

That portion, at least, scans pretty perfectly with Greensleeves, also.

As someone pointed out on this board before, the Australian National Anthem also has the same meter as the Gilligan’s Island theme.

Habañera From Carmen & Da-Do-Ron-Ron

Another Weird Al song which points out a scan is Brady Bunch, in which the theme song is sung to the tune of The Safety Dance.

Here’s a story of a lovely lady
who was bringing up three very lovely girls
all of them had hair of gold
like their mother
the youngest one in curls.

Lest anyone think I’m claiming I noticed this myself, it was a throwaway bit in George Orwell’s Animal Farm, in which the revolutionary song is described as having a melody halfway between “Cucuracha” and “Clementine.”

Beasts of England, Beasts of Ireland,
Beasts of every land and clime.
Harken to my joyful tidings
Of a golden future time.

Soon or late the day is coming, (…etc)

I swear I heard, years ago on Dr. Demento’s show, someone either singing the lyrics to Green Acres to the tune of the Beatles’ “A Day In The Life”, or the other way around.

This isn’t exactly the type of thing the OP is talking about, but I’m tellin’ the story anyway: I watched a great deal of the ‘Reagan is Dead’ TV coverage, and when they unloaded his casket off the plane at Andrews I spent several minutes trying to figure out why the hell the band was playing God Save The Queen…and then the announcer complimented the band on their rendition of My Country, 'Tis of Thee.

:smack:

I had not noticed until that very moment that the two songs use the same melody, though I have since been told that it was intentional.

The lyrics to Spiderman fit well into They Might Me Giants’s Partical Man

Spiderman, Spiderman
Does whatever a spider can…

I’ve annoyed people by singing Stairway to Heaven to the tune of Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. I’ve never gotten further than the first few lines without someone throwing something at me.

The Bloodhound Gang’s “The Ballad of Chasey Lain” has the exact same vocal melody in the verse as Depeche Mode’s b-side “Sea of Sin”. Considering that they were once a Depeche Mode cover band, I’m led to believe it was done on purpose.

What, “Waltzing Matilda”? No, “Under the shade of a coolibah tree” does not scan to “That started from this tropic port aboard this tiny ship.”

And of course, everything scans to “Greensleaves”

:stuck_out_tongue:

“Waltzing Matilda” is not the Australian national anthem. “Advance Australia Fair” is.

*Frosty the Snowman * scans to The Devil Went Down to Georgia.

You can sing the Marine’s Hymn (“From the halls of Montezuma…”) to almost any tune. Irish folksinger Seamus Kennedy does a WONDERFUL job of singing it to (I think) five different tunes in his song “Tribute to the Armed Forces.”

TMBG did ‘Particle Man’ to the 1960’s Spider-Man theme.

Can ‘Family Affair’ (by Sly and the Family Stone) scan to ‘Family Affair’ (by Mary J blige), and vice versa, even though the lyrics are delivered slower on the former?

BMax, try singing the Ramones’ I Wanna Be Sedated to The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Twenty, twenty twenty-four hours to go,
I wanna be sedated
Nothin’ to do, and nowhere to go,
I wanna be sedated

Billy Joel’s Piano Man fits even better, but isn’t as funny.

What began as a parlor game to find a suitable melody to the song featured in Robert A. Heinlein’s short story “The Green Hills of Earth” soon became an obsession amongst a small coterie of music-loving sci-fi fans. As far as I can tell, with the occasional tweak, all of these songs are interchangeable with one another, and can also be applied to “Jabberwocky” and the aforementioned anything by Emily Dickinson:

Mickey Mouse Club Theme Song
Stairway to Heaven
House of the Rising Sun
Yankee Doodle
Pop Goes the Weasel
Peaceful Easy Feeling
I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing
Yellow Rose of Texas
Ghost Riders of the Sky
Rocky Top
Lion Sleeps Tonight
Tangled Up in Blue
Whiter Shade of Pale
Light My Fire
O Little Town of Bethlehem
Jingle Bells
God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
Greensleeves
Jolly Old St. Nicholas
The First Noel
O Tannenbaum
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
I’ll Be Home for Christmas
Take Me Out to the Ball Game
In-a-Gadda-da-Vida
Marines’ Hymn
Wabash Cannonball
America the Beautiful
The Internationale
Onward Christian Soldiers
Ode to Joy
Mack the Knife
A Hundred Bottles of Beer
Clementine
La Cucaracha
Semper Paratus
The Wearing of the Green
(The Rising of the Moon)
The Itsy-Bitsy Spider
I’ve Been Working on the Railroad
Sympathy for the Devil
Rollin’ Down to Old Maui
Acres of Clams
Bread and Roses
Sink the Bismarck
The question is: Are there any others?

The rest of the Stairway To Heaven dope:

These Guys were involved with the mighty Zep after crossing the line…

That was Barnes & Barnes of “Fish Heads” fame partnering with Damascus of “Making Love In A Subaru” theme. And yes, it was the “Green Acres” theme sung to “A Day In The Life,” hence the title “A Day In The Life Of Green Acres.” At the end, they apologize to Lennon and McCartney. :slight_smile:

“Rubber Ducky” can be sung to “Surfer Girl” (and vice versa), and in fact there’s a recording out there that does exactly that, called “Ducky Rubber Surfer Girl.” With some clever stretching, even the bridges work.

Sometimes to piss my wife off while she’s watching <I>The Mary Tyler Moore Show</i>, I’ll sing the chorus of The Brady Kids’ “We Can Make The World A Whole Lot Brighter” to the theme song (starting with “Love is all around…”).