Songs that should never have been sung by the person who sang them

IIRC, It’s All Coming Back to Me Now was written by Jim Steinman, who also wrote the good parts of the Meat Loaf oeuvre. I also seem to remember hearing that the song was originally written for Mr. Loaf himself but was then turned over to Celine Dion, who I like to think of as Meat Loaf’s polar opposite.

And now you know…the rest of the story.

“So say I”, the last song on Van Halen 3. Eddie Van Halens “sings” it. Trouble is, he can’t sing. At all. Not even a little. One of the perils of being a bazillionaire surrounded by yes men…

Hell yes they did! I love that version.

Madonna singing (some of) American Pie. yick :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, if we’re just talking about crummy covers, there’s the Indigo Girls’ version of Dire Straits’ “Romeo & Juliet.” Atrocious.

Bette Midler singing “Wind Beneath My Wings”. I know manny people think she originated it. I know I’m supposed to tear up, thinking of her singing it to Johnny Carson (who I also don’t like). Don’t care. It was the Grover Washington Jr. original that made me cry, and still does. In his version, the first verse is spoken, not sung, which goes right to the heart of me, then, when he starts singing, I’m lost. Her version is Muzak.

Jack Webb, singing “Try a little tenderness”

Faith Hill’s cover of “Piece of my Heart”. I’m used to Janis’ version. Although a member of her band mentioned that they really butchered the original. :slight_smile:

Narvel Felts covering “Drift Away”. And mainly for changing “I want to get lost in your rock and roll” to “I want to get lost in your country song”.

seconded. That was a dirge at points, NOT upbeat.

I remember when I heard on the radio Michael Bolton trying to do opera as a new avenue for him. I don’t really care for opera but I could tell people around the world were wanting to cut their ears off over that. Horrible!!!

I just heard this again last night on the radio and I remembered how much I actually do like this song.

Actually, I have to say I like Kid Rock too. At least he’s honest. In an interview by VH1 or MTV, they ask him why he got into music and he said something along the lines of “Of course you get into music because you love music. That goes without saying. But I’d be lying if I didn’t say it wasn’t for the chicks and the money.”

:smiley:

Gotta respect honesty like that!

Anything written by Neil Diamond.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the idea that Neil Diamond, a nice Jewish boy from Brooklyn, did an album of Christmas music?

BTW, he did write “I’m a Believer”, currently in its second incarnation by Smash Mouth. It’s actually a pretty good cover.

Robin

I think that would be “Blue” by Leann Rimes. I felt the same way about it that you do. If you ignore her age, she did a good job, technically, and it made her a celebrity and paved the way for more opportunity and so on. From her pov, I don’t think this song would qualify for the OP. :slight_smile:
IIRC, I heard in some radio snippet that her father was opposed to this song, felt it was too adult for her but hey, I’ll bet he’s not complaining now.

MacArthur Park by Richard Harris. I can’t fathom why Donna Summers would cover this, but at least she could sing better than Harris.

Honey by Bobby Goldsboro. This song shouldn’t have been written, much less recorded.

I assume you meant something like “find the idea strange.”

If so, then let’s not forget “Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show,” which intentionally mimics the sound of a Christian Revivalist meeting. As a friend said while hearing Diamond perform the song live, “He does that very well, for a nice Jewish boy.”

Getting back to the original post, I alwasy thought the Beatles’ “The Night Before” would make more sense if sung by a woman.

That song shouldn’t have been sung by anyone.

FWIW, I refer to that song as “I’m Like A Turd” by Smelly Retardo. Damn, I wish I were in radio so I could use that …

No less strange than Irving Berlin’s song “In the Easter Parade”. And I think he did Christmas music as well.

I’m starting to think I’m the only one that likes Bob Dylan’s singing. It’s not a quality singing voice, but it’s got real feeling to it.

Courtney’s Love’s “Doll Parts” should have been sung by The Wurzels

The Beastie Boy’s “Intergalactic” should have sung by the
The Gorillaz

“Dreams in Digital” by Orgy should have been done by Ol’ Dirty Bastard

Kraftwerk’s “Trans Europe Express” should have done by Daft Punk