Songs that take you to special time and place...

Do you have any songs that take you to special time and place? Is it specific or ethereal?

I’m listening to Night in White Satin - The Moody Blue right now and will listen to FM - Steely Dan next because I started with Rikki Don’t Lose that Number - Steely Dan because took me to a special place and time and that may or not have existed. :confused:

These are part of a handful of songs that take me to timeless place that doesn’t have special day, place or memory of being with someone. I have those too, like anything from Cream takes me back to the 60’s, Blondie and the Pretenders takes me back to the late 70’s and so on. And I can roughly remember year and place I first heard them. But the songs I listed above and others take me to an ethereal place. I think part of it is because they’re mostly dreamy in their own way.

Here’s some off the top of my head.

White Bird - It’s a Beautiful Day
A Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harem
In the Beginning - ELP
Tuesday Afternoon - The Moody Blues
Ride My See Saw - The Moody Blues
(I’m) Just a Singer in a Rock ‘n’ Roll Band - The Moody Blues
Bridge of Sighs - Robin Trower

When I hear Runnin’ Down A Dream, it always takes me back to listening to the song while driving down into Death Valley just ahead of an approaching storm.

Grazing In The Grass will always be connected with the memory of a family outing to an IBM company picnic in the summer of '68.

Many songs take me to special times and places, but this one is a sad standout.

In 1978, I was at my favorite club smoking and joking with pals. I noticed when the bouncer, who had become a close friend of mine, entered the club. He had a roommate with whom I was also close. I noticed with unease that the bouncer was crying. Not something I ever expected to see.

He motioned me over. He shared that his roommate, our friend, with whom I had gone horseback riding only the day before, had earlier that day wordlessly entered their dwelling, given a perfunctory wave, gone directly to his room and shot himself in the mouth.

As he imparted this tragic news, Gerry Rafferty’s Right Down the Line began to play. It was the first time I ever heard it. To this day, every time I hear the song played, I feel sick at heart and remember that dreadful moment. Forty years later, and it is almost as brightly painful as it was on that night.

Good list. You and I must be about the same age.

The other day I unexpectedly heard Drift Away by Dobie Gray and I was instantly in high school again, pining away over a girl I never got anywhere with.

Daydream will forever take me back to the night I was listening to it as I was driving home after having sex with my girlfriend at her house after her parents had left for Thanksgiving weekend. Under dash cassette deck in my 1966 Olds F-85. Precious memories! :smiley:

The Doors 'Light My Fire" was a hit song I’d heard often on the radio. However the first time I heard the full 7+ minute version was on a beach, as a kid, when I was in St. Petersburg, Florida. I loved it.
I had no idea The Doors rocked as much.
That song smells of coconut, salt breeze, and sunshine to this day.

Enya’s “Flora’s Secret” takes me back to the summer of 1975, not because it was around then (it wasn’t), but because of lines like “Lovers in the long grass look above them, only they can see where the clouds are going…”

Summer 1975 was when I had the most passionate love affair of my life. I was 20, she was 16. Every evening, we would walk to an open field and lie in the long grass, watching the Sun set and the first stars come out.

No one else I’ve ever met compares with her. If things had turned out differently, we would still be married today.

I still love you, Gina!

Without citing specifics, I’d imagine that at least half the songs (including instrumentals) that I continue to enjoy after many years (and decades) have that feature of taking me back in time to when I first heard them. Best case example I can think of offhand is the original Les Paul and Mary Ford version of “How High The Moon” which I would hear being played on a jukebox in the “bus station” across the street from my Grandfather’s house when I was a kid and the song was brand new. From that same sort of experience, I’d add “San Antonio Rose” although it was never quite the favorite that HHtM was/is.

This is one of fears, that something negative will happen when I’m listening to one of my favorites songs, bringing back bad memories of that time. :frowning:

I already feel a bit of sadness when I hear a really good Cream jam and remember that Jack is gone. Now, when Ginger goes…well, I’ll leave it at that! :rolleyes:

Icicle Works Whisper To A Scream (Birds Fly), and I’m in Germany, fall/winter of '86.

Pink Floyd’s A Momentary Lapse of Reason (album) takes me back to fall of '87, in Bamberg, Germany.

U2’s Joshua Tree to the spring of '88, Bamberg (I know it was released almost a year before).

Guns 'n Roses Sweet Child o’ Mine pretty much instantly teleports me to late summer/fall of '89 at Ft. Hood, TX.

Lee Greenwood’s God Bless the U.S.A. yanks me right back spring of '91, King Khalid Military Center, Saudi Arabia, as well as Khobar Towers. AND makes me wanna throw up a little, too.

Romeo Void’s Never Say Never, winter of '92/spring of '93, Dallas, TX, when I was(slowly) getting turned on to alternative.

A nightingale sang in Berkeley Square sung by Carol Welsman just grabs me every time I hear it. The original song by Vera Lynn doesn’t grab in anywhere near the same way.

Oh my goodness… I’m so, so sorry. What a terrible and sad time. :frowning:
I have many songs that evoke times and places. So much so that when I play Sirius radio in my car, I pretty much have to stick to the formless, shapeless music on the “Spa” channel or be swept helplessly up in memories. If I play the 60s or 70s channel, I’m toast.

One song in particular comes to mind. It was only eight years ago. I was helping a friend of mine put together a student art show that he was in charge of. We were working in his office and I had Pandora on his computer. The song “Águas de Março - Waters of March” came on sung by the composer Antonio Carlos (Tom) Jobim and Ellis Regina. I love that Brazilian music anyway (right now, I’m listening to all the Sergio Mendes music I own, which is a lot), but that song at that moment working on a project I loved with a man I loved…a sweet memory. I have that recording now, too, and listening to it always takes me back to that lovely day. He’s the man who passed away in June. I miss him.

“My Cherie Amour” - Summer of '70. I had my first lifeguarding job at the Elk’s Club pool and was falling in puppy love for the first time. This song was on the tape loop they played all day at the pool and every time it played I would sigh like the teenage romantic I was.

“Here Comes the Sun” - Summer of '76. I had just purchased thr MGB convertible I had saved up forever to buy. As I was driving put og thr dealership, car top down, feeling like I owned the world, this oh so appropriate song came on the radio.

To this dsy, either of these songs takes me directly to warm summer days when I was young and incredibly happy. Not a bad place to linger.

Not particularly special, but when I was in Jr. High in the late 1970s, on bad-weather days the students would spend the period after lunch in the gym. I’d usually sit up in the bleachers reading or talking with friends. Two songs were played over the loudspeaker–“Dreamweaver” and David Bowie’s “Fame”. There may have been other songs too, but I don’t recall them; these two were played so repeatedly that even today, 40 years later, hearing them will put me back in that gym, on those bleachers, with so vivid a mental picture that I can almost see the time on the big clock on the wall over the basketball hoop.

Billy Joel’s “You May be Right (I May be Crazy)” takes me back to High-school art class, where I was the first time I heard it.

Billy Joel’s Only the Good Die Young.

Summer, 1978. Best time of my life. I had just gotten my first horse, and every weekend was spent trail riding with friends. I had a little transistor radio I’d hang over my saddle horn by the wrist strap. For some reason, that song stands out to me. It takes me right back to those wonderful days, the sun warm on my shoulders, the scent of pine and horse, laughing with my friends. Wish I could have that summer one more time.