Songs where the music video influence how much you enjoyed them.

Here are some resent examples for me…

I was indifferent about Sara Bareilles’ song ‘Brave’ until I saw the music video:

Verdict: Now I love the song. Bonus points for the video being directed by former 'Parks and Recreation' star Rashida Jones. The song and video are uplifting. The dancers in the video are "regular" people. It makes me want to learn to dance.

And…

I kind of liked P!nk’s - ‘True Love’ until I saw the music video:

Verdict: Ewww. This music video's a mess imho. Points taken away for the scene where she's chopping up the carrot. Yikes!

Ultravox’s “Vienna.” Video directed by Russel Mulcahy.

In another thread, I mentioned how much I like the video of “Go With the Flow” by Queens of the Stone Age.

Former? Is she no longer on the show?
More on-topic: I musically came of age during the 80s, and at that time my exposure to a lot of music was through watching videos, to where in some cases it’s hard to separate the appeal of the song itself from that of the video. Since then, however, I haven’t been much aware of videos at all. I will be watching this thread to see what other people contribute.

She left this season, except she did appear in one episode after that.

Another example:

I heard Tom Petty’s ‘Don’t Come Around Here No More’ on the radio, liked it enough to check out the video:

Verdict: Not what I expected at all. A disappointment. Points off for the weird cake eating scene.

Whitesnake’s “Here I Go Again”. Middling 80s hair-metal song, but I can’t hear it without seeing Tawny Kitaen in my mind’s eye.

Watching that video again now. I’ll be in my bunk. :smiley:

Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” - this was such a huge deal when it came out when I was in 1st grade. I was just the right age to be a little scared but not too scared by all the zombies and werewolves. MTV even aired an hour-long special “The Making of Thriller” that I watched over and over. If not for the video, I probably wouldn’t like the song as much as most of the others on the Thriller album.

I’m not really into this style of music, but I’m a sucker for special effects, and the video for Lauryn Hill’s Everything is Everything is pretty awesome, I kind of enjoy the song as well. I would have completely ignored it if it weren’t for the video.

On the opposite end, for Eddie Money I try not to think about the video for Think I’m in Love because while the song is rocking, the video is slow, kind of boring, and pretty cheesy, it takes the song down with it when you’re watching.

a-ha’s Take on Me. Decent song - fun soundtrack to a mini movie with a cool look.

Sir Mix-a-Lot – Baby Got Back.

Liked Robert Palmer’s song ‘Addicted To Love’, as for the video:

Verdict: I hate this video, I really hate it. Something about the expressionless women in it creeps me out. A lot of people found it to be sexy at the time... I never did. I don't know why, but I guess a part of me always thought it might be a little "sexist" in some way. DON'T ask my why, I don't have a clear answer, it just made me feel that way.

And…
I heard Ingrid Michaelson’s ‘Girls Chase Boys’ for the first time two days ago and loved it. I had to YouTube the video

Verdict: I actually like the homage/spoof on Robert Palmer's video. It makes me more comfortable that it has men and women in it. The problem is, I don't know if it really fits the song... which I think is fantastic.

I was first exposed to The Decemberists’ Calamity Song (music and video) from a thread on this very board about Infinite Jest[sup]1[/sup] (which the song references and the video outright steals [although made by the person with the film rights]). Now, I like the song a lot, but the video puts it over the top as a thing of beauty. It was clearly done by people who loved the source material and wanted to do it justice.

1. A novel well known for its footnotes.[sup]2[/sup]

2. Like that one.

Weirs Al-Perform This Way.
While I think the song is one of his better parodies, the video puts it near the top of the list.

I heard another Sara Bareilles song on the radio; ‘I Choose You’, loved it, watched the video:

Verdict: I love Sara Bareilles. I'm a fan of hers now! Is it wimpy that this video makes me teary-eyed?

My computer curently doesn’t have sound Robot Arm and running coach, I’m going to have to watch them on my phone or Wii U. :rolleyes:

Robin Thicke’s Blurred Lines
En Vogue’s Never Gonna Get It

Take On Me, of course.

This is fantastic - thanks for posting it!

Weird. I thought this was the poster child for great video, nothing song.

I’m with Thudlow Boink on this. A great video may have helped burn the song into my brain, and that biases the feelings about it. Listening to the song 30 years later with the video barely memorable requires the song to be likable or not on its own.

I would have never given Weapon of Choice by Fatboy Slim a 2nd thought if I hadn’t seen the video.

Mr Brightside by the Killers.

Hey Ya! by Outkast.

Whenever Marilyn Manson’s first video came on the TV, I would immediately change channels. One day, I was in another room, too busy to mess with the TV. As I listened, it gradually dawned on me, "Hey! This is “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)!” The next time it played, I sat down and watched it. It’s not a bad cover. (Although, I must say, Annie Lennox looked much better in a suit than Marilyn Manson does in a dress.)