Songs which date themselves by mentioning the current year.

No, I have to say “Little Egypt” isn’t what I was looking for. It was released in 1961. I was looking for songs which mention the same year as the year they were released. I specifically excluded songs written years after the date mentioned.

Celtas Cortos have a song called “20 de Abril del 90” - April 20th, (19)90. It’s a letter to an ex-gf and I don’t think you can get any more dated :slight_smile:

You can still party like it’s 1999.

Actually, this sort of thing may merit a thread in and of itself, and since it could potentially hijack this one, I went ahead and started one.

“Happy New Year” by Abba:

It’s the end of a decade
In another ten years’ time
Who’s to say what we’ll find
What lies waiting down the line
In the end of '89

Also, Pat Benatar’s “My Clone Sleeps Alone” (recorded in 1979, I believe) has the line, “No naughty clone ladies allowed in the eighties.”

Well, I already gave my two ‘stuck in the past’ songs, so I’ll add that Billy Joel sang there’s only 9 years till the Bronx gets blow away in “Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway)” - well, actually even that’s not true, as the singer of the song is in fact reminiscing about the destruction of NYC from the year 2017, and since ‘there are not many who remember’ (the lights of Broadway in the 1970s - heh), the destruction must have happened well before our current year of 2008…

• sniff

My first thread to get a spin-off. They grow up so fast.

Not really, the song states that it happened a long, long time ago. As the years pass, it just gets even longer ago.

Not exactly a year but:
Eve of Destruction mentions a lot of current events that make it very dated for today’s listening.

This post made me go :eek: ! I don’t know anyone else, besides my brother, that knows that song. I had to look at your location and, sure enough, you’re Canadian.

I’ve got it on my MP3 player right now.

Anyway, all of the ones that came to mind have been mentioned. Carry on…

Memories…and Mike E. refers to 1992 in his rap in Glory to God on Handel’s Messiah: A Soulful Celebration.

The Kinks’s Living On A Thin Line just popped up on the iPod.

Now another century nearly gone,
What are we gonna leave for the young?