Songs whose intros fake you out

I can totally agree with you on that.

There are probably a lot of other pop punk songs that sound similar, but I can’t remember the difference between the riffs in Dammit and Right Now by SR-71. Same with The A Team and Sunshine Of Your Love.

Well, there’s Mel Torme singing… this, although it’s intentional.

Any time Boston’s “Foreplay/Long Time” plays on the radio, it gets all the way to the beginning of “Long Time” before I realize it isn’t a Yes song.

Every time. And then I’m pissed. You’d think by now I’d have learned that you’re not likely to hear “Werewolves” unless listening to a classic rock station. It’s still always a disappointment though.

Totally agree. You’re just getting ready to sing along about that hairy-handed gent who ran amok in Kent… and then you have to change the station.

To confuse me even further there was a commercial for Kent cigarettes that had the line “…to a smoker it’s a Kent…” that I always hear in those tunes. Effective? (There are many instances of such things harking back to unforgettable tunes to sell stuff!)

As another aside, when I read the thread title and before seeing other interpretations of its intent, I thought we were looking for tunes similar to Cant Take My Eyes Off You - Frankie Valli and The 4 Seasons + lyrics that “switch gears” like this one at 1:20. Blows me away every time and really makes the song, which was about to put me to sleep before that bodacious break!

Not sure if it counts as an intro, but last night I heard the wind chime opening for the Doobie Brothers “Black Water” and was expecting Chicago’s “Fancy Colours”…

Else you’ll be stuck listening to a song about a greasy maladroit who terrorized Detroit

The Stooge’s “Lust for Life”
Adam Ant’s “Goody Two Shoes” until the horn starts in.

Exactly.

The Strokes “Last Nite”
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers “American Girl”

Every time.

http://www.soundsjustlike.com/2701/the-strokes-sounds-like-tom-petty-the-heartbreakers/

Going back a bit, I think the Ink Spots made a point of using the exact same intro to every song.

Can’t recall the beginning of Goody Two Shoes but I do confuse the beginning of Lust for Life with A Town Called Malice.

Doobies: “China Grove” and “Rockin’ Down the Highway”.

Free’s “All Right Now” vs “Rock’n Me” by the Steve Miller Band

Chuck Berry’s “School Days” and his “No Particular Place to Go”

The intro to Tom Petty’s Breakdown sounds exactly like something Steely Dan would do.

For real! Wonder if anything else by anybody else sounds a little like my Dan favorite Deacon Blues

The late, great Beatles scholar Ian McDonald pointed out that the 1963 Beatles song “All I’ve Got to Do” has the same introductory chord as Smokey Robinson and the Miracles’ then-recent song “You Can Depend on Me.”

I get more faked out by Lust for Life vs Are you going to be my girl by The Jets