Songs whose intros fake you out

:slight_smile:

“Bootylicious” by Destiny’s Child & “Edge of Seventeen” by Stevie Nicks.

Tom Petty seems to be a big target for sound-alikes (even if it’s not the intro that sounds alike). Dani California by the Red Hot Chili Peppers was accused of sounding like Mary Jane’s Last Dance, and Sam Smith had to give Petty writer’s credits for Stay with Me because it had the same melody as I Won’t Back Down.

These six country songs :slight_smile:

Back in the Cassette Age, I had a mix tape that had this song. It would start and people were like “Cool, I love ZZ Top!” Then it wasn’t that song, it was this song. Then they were all…WTF?

Crowded House “Never Be the Same” and
James “Laid”.

I remember hearing an electric guitar intro and expected Johnny B. Goode only to be surprised by Fun, Fun, Fun ('til Her Daddy Takes the T-Bird Away).

Sweet Little Sixteen = Surfin’ USA

That 6-way alignment borders on genius.

I love this!

Just now, in my car (where hearing detail is harder): took me until the first verse started to tell whether I was hearing “Mr. Brownstone” by Guns n’ Roses, or “Don’t Let Him Go” by REO Speedwagon. (It was GnR.)

The intro to the Jam’s “A Town Called Malice” sounds exactly like Elvis Costello’s “Love for Tender”…probably because both are ripped off from the Supremes’ “You Can’t Hurry Love.”