Songs With Good Drums

Iron Butterfly’s “Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida”

I open this thread expecting to find this as the #1 or #2 answer. Twenty one replies before we got to Iron Butterfly?
Hey you kids, get off my lawn!

Missed the edit window. Here it is live

A sampling in no particular order (drummers in parenthesis):

“When the Levee Breaks”, Led Zeppelin (John Bonham)
“50 Ways to Leave Your Lover”, Paul Simon (Steve Gadd)
“Lust for Life”, The Stooges (Hunt Sales)
“Hot For Teacher”, Van Halen (Alex Van Halen)
“Perfect Strangers”, Deep Purple (Ian Paice)
“Spirits in the Material World”, The Police (Stewart Copeland)
“Time”, Pink Floyd (Nick Mason)
“Call Me”, Blondie (Clem Burke)
“Strawberry Fields Forever”, The Beatles (Ringo Star)
“Funky Drummer”, James Brown (Clyde Stubblefield)

I’ve always loved the sound of dual drummers.

A couple of examples: “Antmusic” by Adam and the Ants and “Wah-Wah” by George Harrison (Concert for Bangladesh version).

Adam Ant’s “Goody Two Shoes” also has a great drum part.

Most of Emerson, Lake and Palmer, especially “Karn Evil 9”.

Everlong by Foo Fighters has long been my favourite drum song.

I love the drums on No One Knows by Queens Of The Stone Age.

Also worthy of a mention imo is Banquet by Bloc Party

My favorites are “Bargain” and “Song is Over.”

I was just going to say this.

My Bonham contribution would be “Good Times, Bad Times.” Those clipped triplet stutters on the kick drum, along with the song’s general groove and swing, show you from track 1, side 1, Zep 1, what Bonham is bringing to the table. Of course, “Fool in the Rain,” Bonzo’s own take on the Purdie shuffle, is probably his grooviest drum line. It just has such an effortless swing to it. Even the rock steady 4-4 of something like “Kashmir” is something to behold. Not many drummers I know can make a boring 4/4 rhythm swing like that.

Speaking of rock-steady straightforward drum lines that swing, Squeeze’s “Tempted” is quintessential solid, minimalist drumming. I’m not sure many would pick this out as a drum song, but Gilson Lavis does impeccable timekeeping here, a perfect complement to the moving bassline, while still making it groove.

For the Pumpkins, if you want something theatrical and fast, “Jellybelly” is always a fun listen for drummers. It’s not one of Jimmy Chamberlain’s more subtle drum parts, but it sure is fun as hell. For more variety and musical interest, I’d look to “Geek USA” and then contrast that with his steady solid groove behind “Zero.”

The Stone Roses’s “Waterfall.” Reni was known for his cool, laid-back, off-beat drum parts, and some consider him the best drummer of his generation. Actually, listen to anything off the self-titled album for some of the tastiest drumming in alternative rock music.

Since I love Matt Cameron (though I’m not a big fan of Soundgarden), I’d be remiss not to nominate one of his performances. Try “Face Pollution” or “Jesus Christ Pose.”

For Stewart Copeland, I’ll offer “Reggatta De Blanc” by the Police. Love his accenting in that song.

Gailieo by The Indigo Girls - the drum track is recorded perfectly, and includes some different style rhythms and sounds.

Yep - my personal favorite from the Stone Roses debut is “Elephant Stone”. Can’t believe I forgot Stewart Copeland - my pick would be “The Bed’s Too Big Without You” (especially the version on Disc 1 of Live!).

Good call on the Squeeze song, too, though I doubt many non-drummers will be able to pick up on why it’s so good.

Have to disagree on Bonham, though - for me, the biggest problem with him (with one or two notable exceptions) is that he didn’t swing - his stuff all sounds pretty ham-fisted and plodding to me.

Interesting how we hear two different things. I think he’s among the swingiest drummers in the rock genre. There’s so much subtlety in his drum parts underneath all the bombast. I mean, all the ghosting, subtle stick bounces, displaced accents, etc. And his powerful two and four, which define rock. I mean he smacks the hell out of two and four on the snare. “Immigrant Song” is relentless. I can play it on the drums, but I just can’t make it swing like Bonham does. That snare is just always perfectly and authoritatively placed, and the kick–what I would give to have Bonham’s right foot technique. That groove is like a solid rock. And that subtle little hi-hat placed right before the one in the groove. Very, very tasty indeed.

Iggy Pop - I need somebody
Ramones - Teenage Lobotomy
Clash - Clash City Rockers

If I wasn’t at work I would totally rock out right now.

And John Squire’s guitar work, especially the wah-lead work at the end, is truly sublime - oh, the tone!

And you know how strongly I agree with you on Bonzo - woodstockbirdybird, obviously YMMV and I always enjoy your music posts, but it is surprising to read that you don’t hear the swing in Bonham’s work…as **puly **says, Kashmir is an example of taking a plodding, monotonous beat and establishing a clear groove for it…

“Moonlight Mile,” the Rolling Stones

All right - I’m going to go back and listen, since I respect your and pulykamell’s opinions. Maybe it’s my own prejudices built up over the years - I’ve never been a Zeppelin fan, and haven’t really listened to them (as opposed to heard them) for years. As with Charlie Watts, I’m willing to re-evaluate him. Thanks for the input!

And, since I’m here, yet another I forgot to mention:

The Smiths - “London” (the beginning of “The Queen Is Dead” is really fun to play [and listen to], as well)

Now that I think about it the Rolling Stones’ Get off of my cloud has extremely pleasant drums too.

For big, loud, driving bombast, I’m partial to Tony Thompson on Power Station’s “Some Like It Hot.” Always makes me start air-drumming wherever I happen to be.