Songs written to diss other songs

In another thread the question of “Least favorite Dylan song” came up, and “Gotta Serve Somebody” immediately came to mind-an insipid tribute to his recent conversion to Christianity. It so annoyed John Lennon that he wrote a vitriolic response to it, “Serve Yourself”. In fact, he made 12 different home recordings, but my favorite(and hardest hitting) can be found on the John Lennon Anthology album.

Anyone else have examples of “Non-tribute” tribute songs about other songs?

Best exemplified, IMO, by the Roxanne Wars of the 1980s.

Once more with feeling: John Lennon’s How Do You Sleep At Night was directed at Paul McCartney, regarding what John thought were personal insults on Paul’s Ram album.

Sweet Home Alabama has that part in it that rags on Neil Young.

A classic one is Sweet Home Alabama calling out Neil Young and his Southern Man song.

“Well I heard Mr. Young sing about her
I heard ol’ Neil put her down
I hope Neil Young will remember
A southern man don’t need him around anyhow”

I’m afraid these are not what you’re looking for, but …

Neil Young’s Alabama was answered by Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Sweet Home Alabama. (There were no hard feelings; Young sometimes performed Sweet Home with Skynyrd!)

In Billie Jean, Michael Jackson insisted that “the kid is not my son.” Lydia Murdock’s Superstar claimed that Jackson was lying.

The song Eve of Destruction (written by P.F. Sloan in 1964, but famously recorded by Barry McGuire in 1965) struck a nerve and solicited a lot of response, including at least three songs offering a dissenting point of view:

Lynrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” was a response to Neil Young’s “Southern Man”

Edit to add: Well, that escalated quickly. Day of the ninja’s I guess.

And three of them at the same time. :smiley:

And yet no one’s mentioned Warren Zevon’s “Play it All Night Long,” which disses “Sweet Home Alabama.”

“Rio” by Duran Duran.
Oh, sorry, wrong SDMB meme.

Yankee Doodle, sung by the Redcoats to ridicule the uncultured bumpkins revolting against King George III, became its own diss song when the Yankees began singing it back to taunt the Redcoats after the resounding American victory in the Battle of Saratoga.

How about this? ** Led Zep’s Black Dog**'s famous riff and off-time groove was designed by the Zepper’s to demonstrate that they were a level above other slogging 4/4 heavy rock bands.

I have read an interview of JPJ where he says that’s a myth, but I could swear I heard an interview with Jimmy Page where he supported it.

Matthew Fisher’s “Going for a Song” is an extended diss of “A Whiter Shade of Pale.” Fisher was in the original Procul Harum and evidently grew tired of playing it. (Though that didn’t discourage him from claiming a songwriting credit years later.)

NWA had an interlude in their second (and final) album Niggaz4Life titled “Message to B.A.” about their former member Ice Cube, who had left the group over a dispute with Eazy-E and Jerry Heller, who he accused of holding out on him (“B.A.” standing for “Benedict Arnold”).

Cube responded with “No Vaseline” which was mostly about Eazy and Heller, but the other members of NWA were not spared either.

Dr. Dre would later respond with the hit “Fuck wit Dre Day (and Everybody’s Celebratin’)” dissing Eazy, Heller, and Cube.

Eazy would respond to that with “Real Muthaphuckkin G’s.”

The whole thing died when Eazy did.

Nobody’s mentioned it yet, but Sweet Home Alabama has a go at Neil Young.

I think you can leave out rap and hip hop because the answer would be “most of them” (slight exaggeration).

Hank Thompson wrote “The Wild Side of Life” about a faithless wife who left her man. In the (frankly whiney) chorus, he sings “I didn’t know God made honky-tonk angels. I might have known you’d never make a wife.” Kitty Wells responded with* “It Wasn’t God who Made Honky Tonk Angels” including the line “too many times married men think they’re still single and caused many a good girl to go wrong.”

*she sang it; she didn’t write it.

Night Ranger’s “Big Life” takes a swipe at Huey Lewis & the News’ “Hip to be Square”.

Neil Young’s Southern Man was an answer to “The Battle Hymn of the Republic”?

California Girls by the Beach Boys was a prequel, already existing answer to Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

believe it or not!