Songs you love that everyone else hates...

They had a thread recently about hiddesoly bad songs, and going down I litteraly liked about 90% of the songs there. With another 5% I hadn’t heard of.

I love Alone Again, Naturally because it’s the perfect song to feel sad too. That and Last Kiss. And Band of Gold. And Take a Letter Maria.

And sometimes I’ll enjoy a song, even if I don’t agree with the lyrics, just because of the way the sound of the words play with the music.

Basically my ‘hate’ period is 1987 to 1991, everything outside that I’m almsot certain to like.

Well, I dunno about hate, but I know a lot of people don’t like, or much less know what “Fly me to the Moon” is. Then, I have found myself liking that new NSYNC song, I dunno why. I tried listening to it outside of my car, but it doesn’t work. But when I am driving, it is pretty fun to crank that. Then, I love a Manilow song too, “Mandy”, my life can’t be summed up easier than the title of that song :wink:

Whammo… I admire your courage admiting the Vanilla Ice and Hanson tunes, I love 'em, even though everyone else hates 'em.

I also love Copacabana (Barry Manilow) and Dancing Queen (ABBA), but the versions I like are not the originals, but rather dance re-mixes.

Oh and another one…this one is an oldie
“Come a Little Bit Closer” by Jay and the Americans.
I love that song, everyone else seems to hate it.

becwall,

I don’t think those songs qualify. They were very popular in their day, and still very popular today. I know, I’m a DJ, and whenever I play those songs I always get a good crowd-dancefloor response.

BunnyGirl,

That song definitely does not qualify! It is a wonderful song, a very beautiful and emotional re-make. But don’t take my word for it. The year it was released (1994? I’ll check on it) it set a Billboard all-time record for most consecutive weeks at #1 (I think it was 12 weeks), only to have that record broken later that SAME YEAR, by Boys II Men’s “End of the Road.” So, I don’t think it falls into the “everyone else hates” category, IMHO.

BunnyGirl,

That song definitely does not qualify! :wink: It is a wonderful song, a very beautiful and emotional re-make. But don’t take my word for it. The year it was released (1994? I’ll check on it) it set a Billboard all-time record for most consecutive weeks at #1 (I think it was 12 weeks), only to have that record broken later that SAME YEAR, by Boys II Men’s “End of the Road.” So, I don’t think it falls into the “everyone else hates” category, IMHO.

The Freshman by Verve Pipe.

At first everyone loved it - so, there was the inevitable backlash, and now everyone seems to hate it. But it’s a good song, dammit! Moving, even. It’s still one of my faves a couple of years on.

Many people can’t understand it, but I like the Macarana (especially the video)

I love Patsy Cline’s “Blue Moon of Kentucky” - but everyone else seems to cringe at that one. Maybe if I just stop singing it at karaoke…

I know this one, I know this one! Sugar,sugar by The Archies! I just looove this song! Reminds me of slumber parties when I was 12, practicing ‘kissing’ in front of the mirror, talking about boys, tons of ‘borrowed’ makeup all over. <sigh>

Don’t you just love this song?

&lt; Ahh sugar sugar&gt;
          &lt; ahh honey, honey&gt;
          &lt; You are my caaandy girl&gt;
          &lt; And you got me wantin' you!&gt;

C’mon, everybody!!