Sony assdroids torpedo online multiplayer Jeopardy!

I have spent many enjoyable hours playing the online version of Jeopardy!, and it was always very popular and crowded. So imagine my chagrin when I try to play last night and am greeted by this: http://www.station.sony.com/en/games.jsp

Fuck you, Sony! So the game was “highly popular”, but you can 't continue it because…well, you don’t really give a reason why. Guess you didn’t need all those people coming to your site, huh? I know if I had a huge Web site with lots of fun, multiplayer games I wouldn’t want anyone to come, either. Now what will I do with my pathetic, trivia-addicted mind? I am filled with animal loathing and dispair. May the jackals that sired you eat the rancid meat of your rotting carcasses which fall from the Vietnamese fuck swing where you were sodomized to death by Scrotus Maximus, the Roman god of large cocks.

Assdroids?

Err…yes. Umm…Not to try to be forward, but I know NTN (www.ntn.com, I think) used to do online multiplayer trivia, but I haven’t played it in a while.

How much money do you suppose was spent on Sony products as a result of you and your fellow Jeopardy players visiting the Sony site? Shareholders tend to look negatively on things that aren’t cost effective. I guess you think that Sony “owes” you.

Haj

Inversly because they couldn’t find a way to gouge a dime out of you. Of course it’s their choice, but must you charge for everything? Is there no free content left? I just got a new phone, and I go to ATT wireless website to get ringtones. Guess what? 99 cents each!

The horror, the horror.

So pissed I can’t even spell.

Well, it’s not that big of a loss. Sony Assdroids was clearly released too soon, it was barely to the beta test stage.

I’ll bet the game cost next to nothing to maintain. Maybe it ate up one server in some gigantic Sony server farm, and they had to upload new questions every now and then. It promoted their TV show and fostered goodwill towards the company among the players. How much do you think I’m going to spend on Sony products now?

How much would you have spent anyway?

Does the profit that you all would have earned them offset the cost of the game? Maybe you’ll boycott them for life but the overwhelming majority of your fellow gamers will have forgotten about it in a week or so.

You said that the game was “highly popular”. Disk space isn’t the issue but bandwidth probably is. Someone took everything, including goodwill, into account and, probably correctly, determined that this was a loser for the company. The company officers owe it to the shareholders to give them the most value possible without violating the law. It’s not a charity.

Haj

hajario,
Please define “value.” I think that good will towards a company is higly valuable, and the inverse is also true. You may argue that good will is not affected by this action. I argue in response that based on our current sampling pool (vibrotronica), it is, and we have no further statistical analysis or market considerations to go by.

As for bandwidth and monetary considerations, a game like these would cost either jack or right next to jack, in my opinion. After initially transmitting the applet/Flash/Shockwave logos and graphics, all that should be (not “is”, I haven’t sniffed the programs to find out) transmitted are single lines of text for questions, answers, and commands. Even with several thousand players, this would amount to a drop in the ocean. Uploading questions and answers should, at this point, be nearly or completely automated. This leaves researching new questions and maintaining user-side code as the only sources of expense. Considering Sony’s stake in the physical Jeopardy and WOF, and the question model of either of these two, I feel safe in eliminating the first of these two considerations.

You are correct in stating that Sony has every right to pull the plug, at any time, without warning. But implying that vibrotronica has no right to be upset or complain when they do is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

Jaysus, haj, the lady’s ranting here! Get off her case! Take it to GD!

:: g, d & r ::

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Plavacek *
**hajario,
Please define “value.” I think that good will towards a company is higly valuable, and the inverse is also true. You may argue that good will is not affected by this action. I argue in response that based on our current sampling pool (vibrotronica), it is, and we have no further statistical analysis or market considerations to go by.

We can go by common sense. I maintain that having this game on their site, all things considered, was not worth it to them. Their market research probably showed them that the game wasn’t cost effective. My guess is that on the whole, the people who played this game weren’t in the demographic that buyed lots of Sony stuff or at least weren’t going to buy less Sony stuff if the game disappeared. We still haven’t heard from vibrotronica on how much Sony gear she was going to buy this year but now won’t.

Then why do you think they eliminated the game? Just because they’re evil corporate assholes? No. Because it wasn’t cost effective to keep the game running, for whatever reason.

It would indeed be ridiculous if, in fact, I did that but I didn’t. I was just trying to point out what I believed to be the reality of the situation. vibrotronica implied that Sony was stupid for removing the game from their site because they would lose lots of traffic. I pointed out that they were probably losing money on the deal so they pulled the plug as they have the obligation to do since they are a public company.

Yes, it has always peeved me when people complain about no longer getting stuff that they used to get for free or about the quality of free stuff. Nevertheless, if the rant was solely about how much she was going to miss the game and now she’d have to find something else to do, I’d have left it alone. It was this:

from the OP that annoyed me. They don’t owe you a reason and the Jeopardy players weren’t, in the opinion of Sony, buying enough to justify their existence.

Haj

1. I’m male.

2. Haj, by your reasoning, the Chicago Reader should pull the plug on this board.

3. Yes, I think they’re coporate assholes. For a cite, see the snarky letter in the OP

So, in your experence, has every decision taken by a corporation using these criteria been the correct decision?

But debating that is not the point here. The point is:

1. They just pulled the plug on my favorite online game. What’s my reaction supposed to be? “The Voice of the Market has spoken! Praise John Galt!” Fuck that. I’m pissed off.

Okay, I’ll do it:

“These are not the assdroids you’re looking for. Move along.”

hajario,
In answer to your question, I think they pulled the plug because, as they state on their site, they’re getting ready to turn that domain name into a massive marketing cesspool for EQ and their other profitable pay-for-play games. I don’t think this was a question of “cost effective to keep these games running,” I think it was a question of “having established a gaming portal site, convert it to mainstream Sony marketing shtick instead of allowing it to continue to operate at zero profit/loss, and hope the users keep coming anyway.” And that counts as corporate assholity in my book.

I retract my statement about implication. I misread the tone of your post. Thank you for clarifying. My apologies.

And vibrotronica, my condolences on losing The Station, and my apologies for injecting debate into a rant. I played Jeopardy there when it first opened (4 years back now), but I haven’t been back in a good long while.

For multiplayer online trivia, I HIGHLY, STRONGLY, recommend Pyroto Mountain (http://www.pyrotomountain.com).

-Plavacek

Oops! Sorry, Sir. My bad.

No. The Chicago Reader isn’t a public corporation.

Of course they’re corporate assholes. God Bless America. My question was whether that fact was the sole reason for the decision though. It wasn’t.

Nope, but this one probably is.

Pissed off is good. I’d be pissed too. Demanding a reason and saying they were making a bad business decision was silly. In the OP you acted like they owed you something.

Haj