"Sorry we don't have Coke is Pepsi fine?" "Actually no it's not..." Do you refuse other brand colas?

No strong preference. When I’m ordering, I’ll usually ask for “diet coke or pepsi” and the server provides whatever the restaurant has on hand. Haven’t been to a place that has neither.

Eh, I’m easy. And cheap.

I drink Coke. I regard Pepsi as fake Coke. Given a choice, I’ll take real Mountain Dew over fake Coke.

Slut!

[Note to mods: That was a joke, not an insult.]

Weird. I prefer Coke because it has that vanilla and spice flavor to it, while Pepsi is sweeter and heavier on citrus flavors. I find Coke the more vanilla-y of the two.

This is maybe a good place to tell about the time a friend claimed that no one could tell the difference between Pepsi and generic cola. She provided both, and we did a blind taste test. Every person in the room, including her, could easily tell which was Pepsi. It had a richer, fuller, sweeter flavor.

I took the Pepsi Challenge once. Even though I prefer Coke, I picked the Pepsi in case I might be used in a commercial.

When I took it, I picked RC Cola.

But that was just a neighborhood challenge, no cameras.

I did it once more years later and always chose Coke.

Coke has always had a chemical after taste for me. I prefer Pepsi. It has more depth of spice flavor. If they only have coke I’ll get if they have lemon wedges. That seems to perk up the flavor for me. No lemon? I’ll get unsweetened iced tea.

Interesting juxtaposition of user title and link title.

Given a choice between Coke and Pepsi, I will order Coke. But I will take whatever combination of sugar and caffeine and carbonation is available.

Lately, I have been drinking Mountain Dew, Dr Pepper, and Mr Pibb more often than the standard colas.

If you bet that people can consistently distinguish Coke from Pepsi, odds are that you’ll lose your money.

You’ll be sorry when you get to the place that serves Jolt Cola, but then I don’t think they made a diet version. There motto was all the “Sugar and twice the caffeine.” But it was horrible.

I have less faith in people’s ability to distinguish flavor in general as you do in a 40 year old study that doesn’t take into account changes in the formulas over the past generation.

But, while I wouldn’t pick a random person off the street and put a wager on them, I would absolutely take your money in my ability to tell the difference.

To be fair, it’s been a while since I’ve had a Pepsi, so if you gave me a watered down, warm, flat Coke, I may think it’s Pepsi.

Yes. I can absolutely tell the difference – which I demonstrated when I took the Pepsi Challenge.

Yea, I refuse an offer of Pepsi. Diet Pepsi, in particular, is repulsive to me.

I have noticed more and more places giving me Pepsi when I ask for Coke and not mentioning it.

One of those studies was from 2004, so not exactly ancient history.

I don’t doubt there are connoisseurs here and there who can semi-reliably distinguish Coke from Pepsi products, but even then they’d have a hard time in restaurants where staff are inconsistently mixing syrup and carbonated water into potentially malfunctioning machines.

I just don’t have a strong preference. I blame my mom. She cooking was challenged, if I can put it that way, and I learned to tolerate a lot of food.

My preferred “brown sugary soft drink” is Coke or Dr. Pepper, but I won’t refuse a Pepsi. If I’m drinking a diet I generally don’t like Diet Pepsi so if they didn’t have Coke Zero or Diet Coke I’d opt for something else.

I do note pretty strong taste differences between all of the major cola brands though. Coke is sweet with a sort of “bite” to it, Pepsi is sweeter than Coke with less “bite” and more additional flavors, Dr. Pepper is about the same sweetness as Coke but has a number of other flavor elements base colas don’t have. Diet Coke tastes like its own thing that doesn’t compare easily to anything else, I think it has a refreshing but bitter taste. Coke Zero tastes like Coke that something funky has happened to, but still enjoyable. Diet Pepsi tastes really off though, like there’s some almost chemical aftertaste to it.

I generally order diet brown stuff, with lemon wedges on the side, so I end up with diet lemon brown stuff