Source of meme "Make it stop!"?

Lately (last couple of years) I have noticed a new catchphrase in the vernacular, “Make it stop!” when something annoying is going on. It kind of makes me think of a B movie where a criminally insane person hears voices in his head telling him to kill someone and screams “Make it stop!” even though there is nobody there to hear him.

But was this phrase copped from some widely known pop culture event (I don’t watch a lot of TV), or did it just emerge from nowhere in particular?

The Exorcist?

Putting “make it stop” into the quotes search at IMDb yields The Maxx, 1995 as the earliest quote. Obviously, that’s not going to be a complete listing.

Rhythmdvl, do you know that line is in The Exorcist or are you just pulling a guess out of your ass?

Erm, are you sure it emerged recently? If I had voices in my head and they were getting to me I’d certainly start yelling “Stop it” or “Make it stop” or “Please, for the love of God, stop this!” I don’t have a cite, but I’m fairly sure it’s a standard English construction. Any verb that has same or similar meaning transitively and intransitively tends to work like this.

Need a definition for “joke”?

Actually it’s one of the most famous lines in The Exorcist, said by Regan when she’s jerking up and down on the bed.

So is it a joke or a quote?

It didn’t come from anywhere. That’s the beauty of it.

Well, there is the famous Great War poem by Siegfried Sassoon, “Attack,” about British infantry under artillery bombardment, looking at their watches in a trench, awaiting the time to “go over the top.” The last three lines are:

“While time ticks blank and busy on their wrists,
And hope, with furtive eyes and grappling fists,
Flounders in mud. O Jesus, make it stop!”

But that was published in about 1918 or 19, I think, and a little obscure.

Of course the most famous line was when the Demon said “Hello” and Richard Prior said “Good Bye”…

Maybe I was wrong, I thought it was a joke. I know it was said in the movie but I did not think it was a “famous” part of it at least not famous enough to spawn a colloquialism, especially since the colloquialism arose many years after the release of the movie. YMMV.

The usage I am talking about is overreaction for comic effect, like if you’re sitting in a bar and some ditzy chick next to you is prattling on to her girlfriend over and over again about choosing the color of her fingernail polish and you finally have had enough and turn to the bartender and yell, “Make it stop!” with exaggerated intensity.

It’s just sarcasm. It doesn’t feel like a reference to anything, or if it is, it’s too silly to be a reference. What movie or book started “It was so boring I wanted to claw my eyes out”? In cases like that I say things like “Dear God, help us all!” and if somebody asks a question and the person answering just won’t shut up “Look what you started!”, but I don’t think those are references to anything. I’m sure there are going to be 19th century references of using “Make it stop!” sarcastically, but I have no idea how to go look for them.