source of national pride

well, good luck with that. The owners of capital would like to thank you.

The running joke is the most Canadians aren’t especially proud of being Canadians, but we’re all very proud we’re not Americans.

On the slightly more serious side, I’d say it’s very much like someone described Sweden’s attitude upthread. There’s not so much pride as a sense of relief. Unless hockey is involved. It’s a bit of a cliché, but I’ve seen more patriotism at hockey arenas then anywhere else.

I can’t go that far. Dying for one’s country usually means killing members of another country in the process, and as you say, all countries have wonderful people.

Probably cos the people who follow sports teams enough to pay and go along, are more inclined to tribalism generally …

I mean right? What other country could give you an invention that could help you get comprehensively pissed (at a reasonable price, may I add) and then give you a pillow to rest on while the world stops spinning?

Not to mention that if you do it right you can also use them as floaties, so you don’t drown your idiot self swimming whilst shitfaced.

Goon bags for everybody. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!

The Bonapartes trace their ancestry back to the Italian mainland. But I was joking about the “Napoleon wasn’t French he was Italian” thing. Just showing off my ethnic pride :slight_smile:

Canadians are rather exceedingly proud of their country, but our national chauvinism, if you will, is something that has dramatically increased in the last three decades or so. Elderly ladies are not good people to ask about this sort of thing, as their memories are locked in the way it was in days of yore. Nowadays Canadians can be irritatingly patriotic, and Canada Day is a huge deal.

Canadians like to SAY they’re more reserved about this stuff than Americans, but they tend to note the mote in their brother’s eye while ignoring the beam in their own.

As a New Zealander I endorse some of this list, but don’t know which Sir John or Sir Richard you are referring to. I’m guessing Sulston and Hadlee, but I’m not sure at all.

I’d add William Pickeringas well. Oh and the fact our country was founded by agreement and the indigenous people were full citizens right form the start (unlike a certain other country to our northwest).

And I have no idea why I should be proud of a sheep cloned in Scotland.

I’ve been in Ottawa on Canada Day, and they make a huge deal of it there, with fireworks and everything.

I am proud of what my forefathers and the original inhabitants of this country have built. Am I proud of all we do?
No, our treatment of Aboriginals, our White Australia Policy, our tall poppy syndrome are all things we need to address but as an Australian I do feel pride in the way we welcome immigrants and have formed a largely peaceful and prosperous country that anyone will be given a fair go to make a decent life.

I am proud of our health care, the rule of law, multi culturism, hills hoists, Howard Florey, Brian P. Schmidt. These achievements have all been possible due to a forward thinking and progressive country.

Oh and I am very proud of our the goon bag although not proud how it got its name.

I would not say Napoleon was someone to be proud of.

Yes it does mean that, so it depends on the circumstances. For example were I Ukrainian right now I would have no problem killing any Russian invaders, but I would certainly not harm any Russian neighbors.

Some members of my family died during the American war, and although I don’t know it I would guess they probably killed some Americans. This was patriotism: the Americans and before them the Japanese and the French, were invaders. Still, I like America and think it is a great country.

docrat.com.au – I’m proud to be one of Jenner’s earliest fans!

National pride is the worst thing that humanity ever came up with.

Sir John is of the Walker variety (I was fortunate enough to attend a seminar where he spoke shortly after his retirement) and Sir Richard is indeed of the Hadlee variety.

I heartily endorse Pickering -

I remember hearing that the lead scientist for Dolly was a Kiwi - am I mistaken?

Yes - during law school (which is not lost in the fog of time) I kinda remember that New Zealand is pretty unique in the way it was settled…

And to reiterate again - I have heard it said that the All Blacks are the most dominant team in the history of sport…quite how you measure such a thing I’m not very sure, but there is much to support such an idea.

Not to mention that our Olympians pretty much always shine on a per capita basis.

And that differs from every other country how?

Why not? Sure by modern standards he’d be quite the tyrant, but compared to contemporary European rulers he was fairly benevolent. I think he deserves a bit of credit for helping to modernize Europe.