South Carolina Democratic primary 2016

That was a really nice speech by Clinton.

Some of those African-American exit polling is quite shocking. I expected Clinton to clean up the African-American vote, but not that much. That’s going to have major implications for Super Tuesday.

Sanders has consistently had a big lead among young people. Unfortunately for him, that’s the demographic least likely to actually vote.

I’m trying to be nice, but for Sanders to be on a plane, out of Internet contact, at this time seems churlish. Hillary faced the music in NH; does he think everyone will fail to notice he got creamed if he doesn’t give a concession speech?

I’ve got no issue with skipping concession speeches. They are an opportunity, not an obligation.

Based on the returns right now at about 31% reporting, Hillary has a 50 point lead. That’s just immense.

Wow, now it looks like Sanders didn’t win the white vote after all: https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/703749298656309248

ETA:

Well, Trump has downscaled what we would call obligations in a “social norm” or “etiquette” sense. But I feel they traditionally were considered the right thing to do.

If stays at 50 points Bernie is dead in the water.

The most recent poll on 538 had Clinton up by 50 points. There was a fuss in the comments saying that poll was screening out Bernie voters with it’s Likely Voter screen. It’s looking like their screening process was pretty accurate.

60% reporting, and the lead is 49%. Even with a big shift in the remaining count, she’s going to finish with at least a 40 point win, and possibly 45 points or more.

This is an utter disaster for Sanders at this point. 30 points can be spun. 45 is much, much harder.

Wowwwww.

I’ve got no issue with it either. But not being in SC today at all, plus being on a plane without wifi, plus not giving a concession speech, makes it seem as though he is trying to say that South Carolina doesn’t “count,” doesn’t matter.

Given that he is probably not going to win other Southern states, I suppose that’s a reasonable way to go. “I wasn’t really trying.” “She was going to win anyway.” But it seems kind of…insulting to SC, and I can imagine that seeming like a snub and resounding with voters elsewhere in the South, especially black voters. Not taking the opportunity to give a speech, not being there to thank his supporters. He’ll likely lose states like Virginia anyway, but maybe he loses by 40 points now instead of 25. I don’t know. That can’t be what he wants.

I’m here at his rally in Rochester MN where 4000 people are waiting. I’m interested in hearing any concession comments.

Looks like Hillary is going to beat Bernie by approximately 47 percent.

Yes it was.

After about two years of campaigning Hillary is finally getting the message that she needs to talk about America’s future. Not one word in the speech about her own past accomplishments. It’s about damn time.

Let us know!

Bernie’s done. Those young voters are going to start disappearing now, they’re already the least reliable. Plus, March brings better weather and college spring breaks, so his college town support will drop off.

I read that he got kinda screwed in terms of when most of the primaries were vis-a-vis spring break. That, I genuinely feel sympathetic to his campaign about. Not really fair.

It’s not like it wasn’t known. And who expects kids to vote. And they can vote early if they’re motivated. If heading for the shore is more important then they’ve made their choice.

I was one of about 13,000 D voters today in my county. When I got to the polling place about 3PM it was empty. I was the only one there except the poll workers. I signed in as the 56th person to vote there today.