Southern American Food

Heh, ok. I have had that. Diabetes in a pie shell.

Ahh, thanks. Now that you mention it, I recall hearing about that silliness. :horse:

I apparently have my own notion of kolaches–sweetish filling (nut, usually), and always rolled. Like this or this. Apparently, this is a Hungarian kolache. We get them from a relative that I think has Jewish Hungarian ancestry.

Natchitoches Meat Pie (I’ve had it IN Natchitoches, pronounced /Nack uh tish/)

Carne Guisada: I’ve eaten a fair amount of Tex Mex, probably had this

Kolaches-Czech for things wrapped in a blanket of dough—not sure how it’s “southern.” Mrs. L loves the ones with fresh sauerkraut and sausage. @Maserschmidt probably knows this place, for one. http://www.czechstop.net/

Pimento Cheese

Somebody upstream is lumping Texas in with “The South” culturally. Not saying there aren’t some commonalities … but the differences are more pronounced than may be evident from a perspective north of the Mason-Dixon.

I kind of read it as “Kolaches are delicious…we make some great ones!!!” I.e. everyone wants to be associated with a winner. It’s a form of flattery.

Shush! There is a noted lack of Germanic cooking in the South. Texas fills that need. Are Texans culturally different from the South? Sure. They’re culturally different from frakking everybody!

Probably not a great reason, but they call them “Lone Star Kolaches” and claim they are so popular in parts of Texas that there are many festivals and towns claiming to be the kolache capital and even kolache chain restaurants. The Texan variations can (they say) include sausage, jalapeño and barbecued beef.

The bog is like a risotto with chicken thighs, polish sausage, garlic, onions and long grain rice cooked in lots of chicken broth in a single pot ending up with sticky, clumped rice - more pilaf than stew.

Interesting. In the years I’ve lived in Hungary, I’ve only known those as beigli (either diós [walnut] or mákos [poppyseed] beigli).

Interestingly, there was something of a German enclave in the New Orleans area and it’s never quite gone away. Admittedly, German culinary influence didn’t spread all that far away from the Crescent City … but a lot of New Orleanian home cooks have incorporated smothered cabbage, German potato salad, and breaded pork chops into their menus without thinking too much about their origins.

https://gacc-nola.org/

There is a recipe for enormous (10”) German pancakes made with grated onion and potato.

Carne Guisada
Kolaches
Pimento Cheese

These were the three I recognized. But guisada is, to me, a pork dish in a stewy-soupy sauce, pretty much the same as chile verde. I used to go to a Mexican grocery (near the office at the time, we’ve since moved) that had a hot table that offered red and green guisado but I’m almost certain it was always pork simmered in salsa and always awesome.

Kolaches I know from a coffee shop job I had in the late 90s. Pimento cheese seems nationwide in one way or the other,

A little of the topic, but how many of you all think you can properly pronounce Natchitoches without looking it up first?

I wouldn’t be able to after looking it up.

Now that makes sense… I’ve heard of Kentucky Derby pie! A restaurant near where I grew up was well known for their homemade Kentucky Derby pies; when they needed to cut costs, it was replaced with a horrible commercially-produced version.

As a lifelong resident of North Carolina, I never heard of chicken bog until I started listening to a Florida-based podcast. Due to the amount of rice, I wonder if this dish should be called South Carolina chicken bog.

I know about pimento cheese. I wish I didn’t. XP

I’m not familiar with any of the others on the list.

To me, carne guisada is beef stewed in a red chili pepper broth with tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers, drained and either served in cubes with the veggies as a garnish, or with the meat and veggies all shredded like pulled pork and mixed together.

I believe I’ve heard it pronounced “nah-kuh-tawsh”.

Natch - eh - toe - chess. I’m a tourist and entitled to pronounce it “wrong” for the amusement of the locals.

There’s a town across the LA/TX border, just 111 miles away, named Nacogdoches. Na (a like in bat) cuh doe chiss. Your pronunciation isn’t too far from that, may cause confusion in some circumstances.

Bolded the ones I know. Grew up in Chattanooga, TN, have lived there, in middle TN, Jackson, MS and Atlanta in the south, plus 3 places definitely not in the south (Maine, Ohio, and and Arizona).

But I had a job in the late 90s that had me doing a lot of traveling in different parts of the south, so I don’t know if I’d know some of these without that experience. But pimenna cheese? Of course I’d know that one (make a grilled cheese sandwich with it. Really. Maybe add some bacon or tomato to that if you want, but it’s not required).

If anyone cared, the magazine is Cooks’ Illustrated Southern Favorites from Summer 2019. A summary of each thing follows, in case they have alternate names.

• Carolina Chicken Bog *
    As above, a clumpy pilaf-risotto with chicken thighs and polish sausage made in one pan with rice absorbing ample chicken broth

• Natchitoches Meat Pie *
    An empanada from NACK-uh-dish made with pork, beef, onions, peppers and deep-fried

• Carne Guisada *
    Texan beef stew with roast, potato and Nexican spices served with cilantro in flour tortillas

• Jezebel Sauce *
    Sauce made with pineapple and apple jam, gores era fish and cayenne served with ham

• Comeback Sauce*
    Spicy mixture of mayo, onion, chili sauce, ketchup, hot sauce, Worcestershire, mustard, lemon juice, paprika and pepper

• Shrimp Perloo *
    PUHR-low is a Charleston jambalaya with rice soaking up broth, veggies, shrimp and spice

• Kolaches*
    A Czech filled pastry

• Pimento Cheese*
    Mayo, cream cheese, lots of sharp cheddar, spices, pimientos

• Thoroughbred Pie*
    Chocolate, walnuts and bourbon

• Lane Cake*
    Boozy white cake with raisins and good whiskey

• Strawberry Sonker *
    Deep dish stewed fruit covered in a cake or pancakey sweet crust; not quite a pie, cobbler, betty, crisp, pan dowdy as such.