Spacebat, I salute you! o7

R.I.P Spacebat, you dreamed bigger than most!

Shuttle-Riding Bat Dies The Most Glorious Death Imaginable

Could such a small creature have safely glided down from such a high altitude? Suppose it let go when the booster tank started to heat up? What about the lack of oxygen? Would its small size - and small brain size - have helped or hindered?

Guessing if he let go he’d have been BBQ’d right quick. If he hung on he froze or suffocated.

Poor little guy (or gal). :frowning:

Sorry, I meant shortly after separation, not shortly after launch!

Well…the external tank separates at some altitude over 185,000 feet. If Spacebat made it that far he’d have suffocated or frozen I’m afraid. (cite)

Anybody making a joke about preparedness is going to get… well, actually I’m probably just gonna stare icily at their post for a few seconds, truth be told, but nevertheless, just don’t.

You go spacebat! :frowning:

Now they’ve posted a tribute:

Bruce should curb his dog, so to speak. :slight_smile:

I don’t have a link right now, but one of yesterday’s articles stated that it looked like his wing was broken. He wouldn’t have been able to fly. No matter when he let loose.

sniff

I’ve got something in my eye. Excuse me.

Dead? Hah!

When the Space Vampires make their move don’t you dare say I didn’t warn you!

Forces during SRB separation probably would have shaken him off if he lasted that long. The sudden loss of mass creates the largest peak shock load during flight. However, if there was any significant wind shear that probably scraped him off. I don’t think wave interference effects would have created a shearing pressure wave that far down the ET. He might have gotten fried by radiation off the expanded plumes of the SRBs as the Shuttle reached higher atmosphere, but more likely he just fell off.

Stranger

Lewis Carroll must be quoted here…

<ahem>

Twinkle, twinkle, little bat!
How I wonder what you’re at!
Up above the world you fly,
Like a teatray in the sky.
Twinkle, twinkle little bat!
How I wonder what you’re at!
Thenkyew. Thenkyew vurry mush.

Seems someone is way ahead of you. :smiley:

Edit: Doh…I read what I quoted as “movie”. :smack:

Ahh well…:smiley:

snerk

Yeah, the only flick where Best Boy refers to blood type. Huh? Huh?

I got nothin’