Spanish and US governments conspired to squash prosecution of soldiers who killed Reuters journalist

Actually yes it does, unless and until the hotel surrenders or is in the control of said military.

What the fucks your problem? Maybe I’m missing something but you’re coming in a thread about how the US suppressed evidence concerning the death of a cameraman and flinging your own feces with the force and volume of some hippopotamus/gorilla hybrid.

Who the fuck cares if it’s true journalism. He got the fucking word out to this victim’s family. Don’t you think they deserve answers? How many other deaths of innocents were covered up by the subhuman pieces of shit involved in this war?

As an American I’d like to know thoroughly my nationality has been slimed by those lying jackasses.

I’m missing the part where the US suppressed evidence, and Wikileaks unveiled it. The US asking Spanish officials to drop the case is not evidence of guilt or innocence for the three people being charged, and that appears to be all that Wikileaks has revealed.

This whole thing gets a big “meh” from me.

And people asking about supposedly “hypocritical” positions taken by the US also get a resounding “meh.” We are us, so we can do whatever the hell we want to do. They are them, so we can say what they are doing is bad if we want to. That’s it. There is no such thing as some over-arching cosmic sense of right and wrong that governs all these issues.

It is OK for citizens of the US to say (i) it’s OK for the US to do something and (ii) it’s not OK for another country to do the exact same thing. And the citizens of the other country can do the exact opposite.

Nice endorsement of tribalism, there.

The guy you quoted is a sociopath, or a troll. Better to ignore his rantings.

Ravenman, why should the US be meddling in Spanish courts?

Further maybe not suppression of evidence, but there was significant resistance t the investigation process.

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/english/How/US/worked/to/get/three/soldiers/off/the/hook/for/cameraman/elpepueng/20101201elpeng_14/Ten

Most telling of this is the quote form the family:

Why was the US government against this family getting closure?

I would guess that the US does not give a damn about closure, they care about protecting their servicemen from witch hunts. The last thing we need our servicemen worrying about is being tried in foreign nations under foreign laws because someone’s countryman got killed in a war zone.

The Spaniards wanted to arrest our men. That would have a significant negative effect on the morale of our troops. Think about how many foreign nationals are in Iraq right now. If every time some Jihadist volunteer was killed, would we allow the extradition of the entire chain of command to that particular Jihadist’s home nation? It would be a legal nightmare, plus we would be telling all of our volunteers that the US will hand them over to anyone with a complaint.

I don’t see anything in the links showing new evidence, or evidence of a coverup of malfeasance by the US. I do see the US diplomatic corps trying to shut the whole thing up, which is part of their job.

Oh, I do, never fear. I know all about Mr. Rover. I understand that he sells snowmobiles for a living. Or maybe ATVs.

Anyway, my point is, I didn’t quote him. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, that’s true in the sense that “It’s OK to say/do anything you like”. But the sticky point is that people will judge you by what you say and do.

Yea just give em a license to shoot anyone with brown skin eh, and let god sort em out!

You’re saying the Spanish cameraman was a jihadist? Are you fucking stupid? Spain a Jihadist nation? How about the Ukraine? That a jihadist country too? Because a Ukrainian cameraman was also killed there.

Why the hell wouldn’t the Department of Defense at least let the victims families have information about the people the incompetence of their troops killed? Why? They didn’t have to send the murderers over.
Why was it too much to do the do decent human thing and at least cooperate in providing information for the investigation?

Agreed and understood. And sometimes that judging comes in the form of strongly worded missives on the internet penned by idiots (eg, TTR), whuich is the weakest of weak sauce.

If people like TTR had the ability to actually think about what they are saying, they might realize that there’s simply no “should” in situations like this (ie, international relations).

I’m not one to hand-wave off the pain experienced by the family in the unnecessary death of their son. It’s a tragedy, and I certainly do not criticize them in any way for doing all they can to get to the bottom of the case.

However, it is my sense that they believe that someone must be held legally responsible for the death of their son. From the investigations I am aware of, both by the US military and the Committee to Protect Journalists, seem to agree on the overall point that the attack was not “deliberate” but it was avoidable. In other words, it was an accident that should not have happened.

It also seems to me that the standard of cooperation sought by the family’s attorneys is to have the three soldiers arrested and brought to Spain for investigation and prosecution for war crimes. Since at least two investigations – including one by an independent NGO – have concluded that this incident was not a war crime, I don’t think that it is fair to send the soldiers off to Spain to be arrested.

To the extent that US soldiers commit war crimes, I think they should be prosecuted in the US justice system, which I do think is up to the task. To the extent that the family wants additional information on what happened, I think that’s a very reasonable request and the US government ought to provide the details of its investigations to Spanish authorities and the family.