Speaking of The Watchmen, guess who wants to be Rorschach?

I saw him in Toy Soldiers (peeeee-yooooou!) and of course, Stand By Me (where he was pretty good).

I am not confused.

The kid is a mediocre actor at best.

If we had to take someone from the Star Trek casts for Rorschach, purely on skill of acting, diversity of roles, and height, it would have to be a well made up Robert Picardo.

Though Armin Shimmerman if made to look 20 years younger would be excellent!

I dunno. It seems that Rorschach is supposed to be profoundly ugly, and nobody mentioned here is that. Not even “Hollywood ugly.”

I’d vote for a relative unknown to play the part - when he’s unmasked, the audience is supposed to be thinking “Wow, what a horrible person,” not “Hey, it’s (insert name here)!”

Psst, casting agents - I’m unknown!

I dunno. It seems that Rorschach is supposed to be profoundly ugly, and nobody mentioned here is that. Not even “Hollywood ugly.”

I’d vote for a relative unknown to play the part - when he’s unmasked, the audience is supposed to be thinking “Wow, what a horrible person,” not “Hey, it’s (insert name here)!”

Psst, casting agents - I’m unknown!

Yes, but are you horribly ugly?

Rorschach isn’t horribly ugly, he’s just homely.

How about Tim Roth? He can do American.

William H. Macy as Rorschach.

<< Game Over >>

Bah, too old. However, if it were possible to de-age him about 25 years, I think he’d make a good John Osterman.

The most fun role to cast is Dr. Manhattan, because he’s nearly naked for about 90% of the story.

Unfortunately, this role has already been given to Marlon Brando.

I think that Steve Buscemi would make a good one, but I don’t know… it seems like putting him in there would just kind of trivialize Rorschach by using a cliched character psycho (not that I don’t like Steve, particularly when he does song & dances with Homer…) I’m thinking of someone like Kevin Spacey when he was still unknown in Se7en… someone that the audience wouldn’t be too familiar with who can do an excellent job with a contained rage. I think that the hardest thing to do would be do convey Rorschach’s complete disassociation w/ reality & his subtle steps toward humanization (I’m not sure the exact incident but I know he starts around the time he gets out of jail)

I was rereading Wathcmen the other day and I was just completely freaked out by how Ozymandias is an EXACT double of my ex boyfriend. Creepy. (the relationship ended horribly but eh, at least I was dating a hot guy…)

What if they made a version of V for Vendetta? Maybe we could get David Prowse to be the title character…

Hurm. Praps Spacey would be good. Someone who can act but still have no facial expression. How 'bout the dad from Family Matters as his shrink?

A. Whitney Brown as the right-wing newspaper editor.

GAAAAAAH!!! GAHHHH!! I’ve got sporks stuck in both my eyes nowww!!

No, has to be Kevin Bacon. He’s already field tested for full-frontal nudity, and it just CAN NOT be Harvey Keitel. Tho’ ol’ Harv might make a good Comedian…

How about Jennifer Garner as Silk Spectre II and Bette Midler as the original Silk Spectre?

If Shwarzenegger would consent to play a bad guy, he could pull off Comedian.

Of course, anyone you cast as Ozymandias has to be able to beat the Comedian senseless and throw him out a window, so that makes it a bit tricky.

A few things:

1.) Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think Wheaton is the BEST choice for Rorshach, however, I do think he’s a viable choice. I do like the suggestion of Seth Green, though again, a good and viable choice, perhaps not the best. Off-hand, I’m having difficulty thinking of a best choice for Rorshach. Regarding Wheaton, I think he’s been unfairly treated and would encourage him to seek out more challenging roles such as this one.

2.) Re: Gardner and Midler – this is an excellent pairing for the SS women.

3.) Comedian - the later years – Bruce Willis. Give him a little hair and a mustache, and he looks frighteningly like Gibbons portrait. Plus, he’d fit in the skin terribly well.

4.) How about Patrick Stewart as Doc Manhattan? Perhaps a bit old, but with the right cgi-work, he could pull it off.

5.) He may be a bit old now, but John Shea would make an excellent Ozymandias. It is a pity we don’t have a young Robert Redford for that role.

6.) How about Dustin Hoffman as Roarshach? He has the right combination of nerdiness and intensity and he’s short.

7.) Brent Spiner would make a great Owl, but Jason Alexander might be good as well–if he can get past his basically sleazy character tendencies.

I think Dr. Manhattan should be 100 percent CGI, to give him an otherworldy feel. If they go into his origin, then have an actor play him before the accident.

How about Sylvester Stallone? He’s got the build for the Comedian, but he’s not too big (rather short in person), so a taller, athletic Ozy could conceivably take him out.

Just give Sly a little bushy moustache, and you’re set.

I’ve given this a lot of thought since yesterday, and I think Tim Blake Nelson is in a viable spot to play Rorscach.

The character not only has to be ‘Hollywood ugly’ – he has to look like he might have had a sociopathic childhood. If they include the prison scene he has to look like he can handle himself.

He’s done creepy easily enough in HOLES and MINORITY REPORT – and endearing nebbishness in O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU. I believe he can summon enough menace to pull off Rorschach with enough physicality as long as they as don’t suddenly involve MATRIX kicks and CROUCHING TIGER wirework.

He’s low enough on the radar where you don’t suddenly think: Hey, it’s Seth Green or Hey, look it’s Steve Buscemi!

Other thoughts:

Ozymandias: Neal McDonough of TV’s "Boomtown

Silk Sectre: Demi Moore

Nite Owl: Bruce Willis

Doc Manhatten: Either CGI or anyone of ‘Blue Man Group’. BUT: punctuate Doc Manhatten’s otherworldliness if his lips move out of synch to his voice dubbed over by …(you ready for this?) Christopher Walken. Now imagine Chris doing these lines:

“I am disappointed Veidt. Very Disappointed. Putting together my intrisic field was the first trick I learned. It didn’t kill Osterman. Did you think it would kill me?”

They won’t make it- or if they do- if you liked the Graphic novel, you’ll HATE the film. Case in point- TXG (which I liked, however, I thought the graphic novel to be only “OK”, and the second series of the comic to be gross)

But isn’t the point that Rorschach doesn’t look like he can handle himself? He looks like a spotty, underdeveloped nerd. That’s the whole shock of the prison scenes; you don’t expect him to be able to handle the other prisoners. It’s what makes his line about ‘You’re all locked in here with me’ so creepy.