Speed Traps

At last, teeming million drivers have won one! A driver in Pennsylvania was arrested for flashing his head lights to warn oncommming motorists of a speed-trap. unable to find a spacific law that was broken, the “flasher” was charged having his high beams on within 500 ft. of an on-comming vehicle(it was daylight). Finally the PA Supreme Court threw out the case! So, when you’r in PA, fel free to warn your fellow motorists. i don’t know what is cost the hero, but I, for one thank him/her! Any other winnings for side?

The Teeming Millionth

That should read:"…for our side" The good guys. Carl

Well at least the motorist did not flash his lights at a car driving with no headlights at night. Because we all know that such a car is driven by gang initiates waiting to shoot the person who flashes them. I know because I saw it in e-mail and everyone knows that what you read in e-mail is true.

Jeffery

Well at least the motorist did not flash his lights at a car driving with no headlights at night. Because we all know that such a car is driven by gang initiates waiting to shoot the person who flashes them. I know because I saw it in e-mail and everyone knows that what you read in e-mail is true.

By the way, if everyone will give me their e-mail address I will send you an e-mail from Walt Disney Jr and Bill Gates offering free trips to Disney and money. We are gonna be rich.

Jeffery

That thing about gang initiates going for flashing headlights is an Urban Legend, as you probably surmised. Check out:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/lightout.htm
BTW: www.snopes.com is a great source for info on Urban Legends.

• There was a speed trap in the St. Louis area a couple years back, and a woman flashed her lights to oncoming cars. The police arrested her for “interfering with police work” or something. She claimed first amendment rights. The case was eventually dismissed. - MC

I wonder what would happen if when you went through a speed trap (eternally more of a revenue-raising activity than a motor safety one), you turned around and set up a few hundred yards before it with a sign that said “Warning: Speed Trap Ahead.”

theoperaghost writes:

Yes, I knew it was an UL. I was just attempting to be humorous.

Jeffery

True story: my girlfriend was driving along a fairly busy street the other day and saw a boy, she thought maybe around 14, holding up a sign that said “Speed trap - slow down”. She drove through the trap and over a hill and there was another boy holding up a sign that said “Suggested tip - $5”

-E-

Read this in W. Poundstone’s Big Secrets (Here I go again.) Some places have dummy speed traps. A police car is parked with a dummy in uniform sitting in the driver’s seat. Obviously, no one gets ticketed, but everyone slows down.

I would love to find one of these someday. Just think what you could do with an unprotected police car.

“The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life.” -George Carlin

Pat, there is one sitting right out in the open…right in front of the state police station in Sault Sainte Marie, MI

Happy Hunting!! hehehehee
If/When you get caught…don’t call me!

Cogito Ergo Vroom
I think therefore I ride fast…

I’ve heard UL-type stories of people calling 911 about these cars. The dummy is too realistic and the bystander thinks the cop died while on patrol. Supposedly this prompts the police to put little stickers in the window telling pedestrians that the guy behind the wheel isn’t real.

“I had a feeling that in Hell there would be mushrooms.” -The Secret of Monkey Island

I remember one time when I was looking for a house that I couldn’t find I drove around the block about four times before I relized I didn’t have to make a COMPLETE stop because the “speed trap” was just a dummy. We had them for a while in our city before any one noticed. I guess there was one sitting in a normal speed trap place on a main road in just down the block from my house, some lady when out to give “him” some lemonade because it was so hot out and she wanted to thank him for slowing everyone down (it’s right on a very dangerous bend that people go very fast through) when she relized it was not a real person

Formerly known as Nec3f on the AOL SDMB

• Re:“Unprotected Police Cars”, , ,
      • Once, an East St. Louis city police car was stolen, and later found with the (police) radio missing. - MC

Grand theft auto? Radio theft? Gee, I was just thinking of some harmless graffiti. Maybe something like “HONK IF YOU THINK I’M REAL”, or “MANNEQUIN AT WORK”.

“The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life.” -George Carlin