Speeding in one state, the police are after you, you cross the state line...

Can the police from one US state follow you into another state for a speeding offense? If not, can they do so for more serious offenses? I don’t drive but am curious about how the law operates between the states.

Yes, even into another country.

If you are speeding and the cops are following you and you refuse to stop the cops call that evasion. Which is more serious than a traffic infraction. The various states have interstate compacts which allow officers to maintain pursuit. It is not like the Dukes of Hazard where your safe if you make it over the State line. They also have radios so they can let the neighboring states police know you are coming and they will most likely chip in to help stop you. Of course the cops cannot immediately take you back across state lines, they must allow the state where you are eventually stopped take you in and then go through the courts extradition process.

Cite?

Several of them.

Interstate Rendition. Uniform Act on Fresh Pursuit
Cite.

An example.

Care to point to the one that allows American cops to enter a foreign country in pursuit of a fugitive?

Here is a cite that police officers in the U.S. can’t continue hot pursuit without specific prior authorization from the appropriate Mexican or Canadian officials.

This will teach me to take a lawyer at his word instead of looking it up myself.

Three areas of hot pursuit - land, air, sea.

Sea is pretty much a lock.
Canada - Agreement on fisheries enforcement, 26 September 1990
Mexico - Maritime law

Air
Canada - Nothing beyond maritime rules
Mexico - Allowed

Land -
Canada - This I haven’t been able to find but I notice on that blog site cited that the Canadian cops did not stop the New York police but rather that the NY police called their cars back.
Mexico - At first okay. Then we invaded Mexico a couple of times so now no. The United States stepped up the hot pursuit thing a notch, just ask Humberto Álvarez Machaín In summary, Mexico says no, US says yes

Now let’s be practical, tell me the name of a cop who while chasing you would stop at a road sign that says “Welcome to Someplace Else.”

Cecil on hot pursuit.

Arthur Grimble. :slight_smile:

Not really. Your cite does not say that.

If the sign says “Bienvenidos a Mexico” or “Beinvenu a Canada” any cop who wants to keep his job better stop.

askeptic, yep, I was wrong about hot pursuit by air into Mexico.

Don’t understand your second point. The US still maintains its right to hot pursuit while negotiating for a treaty that allows it.

The Machain case was not actually “hot pusuit”. Hot pursuit refers to law enforcement agents actually chasing the suspects with no break. As I understand it, in the Machain case there was nothing “hot” about it - it was just the United States asserting its “right” to abduct a foreign citizen, suspected of a crime against US law, from any country it wants to.

This issue recently made the news in the UK when a lawyer acting for for the US Government told the English Court of Appeal that, under US law, a British citizen, kidnapped from the streets of London and facing charges in the States, would have no legal remedy under US law. Not surprisingly this caused some disbelief in Britain - causing even America’s friends and supporters to take a sharp intake of breath and confirming the anti-US crowd in their belief that America is an arrogant bully that only follows civilised norms of international behaviour when it is in its own interest.

TRAIN TO ZONE!

cough

I don’t know about the US, but I’ve read several news-stories about criminals in Norway fleeing to Sweden and being caught by Norwegian troopers in pursuit. In one of them, a trooper car crashed into a building after sliding on ice and the trooper car was subject to Swedish law, but the transportation of the criminal back to Norway was pretty instantaneous once he was caught and arrested.

In Dukes of Hazard, I believe it was the county line. Which jibes even less with reality.

My corner of the universe is a bunch of small towns with common borders. If local cops didn’t have county cooperation, you could commit a crime on the border of one town and just hop into another.

Don’t laugh. I know someone who tried it. Didn’t work.

The thing i never got is how cops arent supposed to cross the border…Why cant they just cross as private citizens and make a citizens arrest?

Isn’t this the exact question posted in the OP?

Hazzard. Just a nitpick.