spicy foods literally have a higher temperature?

I was recently told that hot peppers literally have a higher temperature than their environment. I am a skeptic by nature.

Is it true that fields that grow extremely hot (Spicy) peppers have a higher temperature directly above them than say a field of corn?

How about an individual pepper? I’ve never been burned by one.

respectfully,

JT

Throw it in a freezer set to 30 degrees F. See if it freezes. Answer given. :slight_smile:

They’re hot because they are acidic, buddy. Temperature has nothing to do with it.

Plants have very little means to regulate their temperature. If you try to grow a plant outside of its normal environmental temperature range it won’t do well and may die.

No, acidity does not produce the “hot” favor. Peppers contain capsaicin, an alkaloid that triggers pain receptors in the mouth:

What Makes Peppers Hot

For what it’s worth, once I chewed cinnamon gum shortly before my appointment to give blood and it made my temp too high. I had to sit and wait for 10-15 minutes until my mouth got back to normal temperature.

That was your body’s reaction, dilating capillaries in your mouth and tongue transmitting more internal heat. If you had used a rectal, armpit or eardrum temp you may not have seen that.

However some of them do produce heat:

Plant Physiology Online

The article mentions quite a few plant species, but not peppers or solanaceae.

Plus chili’s aren’t acidic; they’re alkaline.

Of course this always begs the question, why do chilis cause heartburn in some people?

I’m not sure, but I note that a lot of greasy/oily foods are said to cause heartburn. The cap’s an oil in the chilies.

And it doesn’t “beg” the question, it raises it. To beg the question is to make an argument by assuming the conclusion is true beforehand.

Yeah, but it’s a lost battle, buddy. Popular usage has hijacked the phrase, and it’s not synonymous with “to raise a question.” Valiant effort, but all for nought, I’m afraid.

Should read “it is now synonymous with…”