Spiny Norman Helps Save LAPD Detective Maimed In NY's Eve Motorcycle Crash [Edited title]

If this were a standard-width intersection, a longer yellow would be a problem. But because it’s so wide, it takes longer to get across, meaning a longer yellow would give people coming up behind the first couple of cars that go through on yellow, reason to believe it must be about to turn red because it’s been yellow so long, and stop instead of trying to be the third car through. Not sure I’m explaining that right, but it makes sense in my head.

Anyway, that plus the delay between red and green, and a red light camera, and the protected left-turn arrow should all work in combination to at least make that intersection safer, even if not 100% idiot-proof.

Good work SNorman…

I’m proud of you both, Spiny Norman and Shayna. Way to step up…!

No, you explained it right. :slight_smile: I’m in a place where people do not understand the concept of ‘Do Not Block Intersection’ (and the posted signs are not enforced), and think it’s OK to turn left on red because their bumper is almost up to the limit line.

I missed the left-turn arrow comment. That’s a good idea for ‘complicated’ intersections. More safety margin, less room for ‘interpretation’.