Splitting hairs on cutting boards

I once had a rubber cutting board and it stunk. I mean that most literally. It smelled funny…especially when it was wet. I chucked the sucker after only a few uses.

The finest cutting board I own is made of marble. It cleans incredibly easily, it never gets nicks or cuts in it and it is heavy enough that it doesn’t slip around when you’re slicing and dicing. Sure it dulls your blades pretty easily, but you should get in the habit of keeping your knives keen with regular sharpening anyway. A dull knife causes more injuries in the kitchen than any bacteria-harboring cutting board ever could. I have had this cutting board for over 8 years and it shows no sign of needing to be replaced EVER. I cut whatever I want on it with only a quick wipe of a sponge and a paper towel between each item.

So to sum up…

Wood, plastic and rubber are all inferior to the greatest of all cutting board materials -

MARBLE.

It is helpful if you provide a link to the Staff Report that you are commenting on, so that we can all be on the same page.

Which cutting board is better, wood or plastic?

Thanks CK. Will do in the future.

I’m happy that you’re happy with your marble boards, and I’m hopeful that you never lose your marbles. I’ll stick with wood, though, because it’s kinder to my knives. After each use, I dress up each edge with a few strokes of a diamond-coated sharpener. I never used a marble board, but when I used a glass board, the knife was often dull before dinner was ready. When I’d sharpen the edge after washing, it would take dozens of strokes to bring back the edge. Dragging a sharp edge across a stone in process of cutting up meat is counter-productive.

What kind of dish requires split hairs, anyway?

hair pie :smiley:

Any food served to a lawyer.

I’m sticking with wood too- There was a mention about the antibiotic properties of wood. My cousin, a woodworker, told me about that years ago, from some woodworker mag he subscribed to. Don’t know what the truth is, but, till I see different science, I’m sticking with the wood- it’s way easier on my knives- I tend to dress before and after use, and sometimes during- I do lots at a time, instead of smaller lots of times. Then I freeze it all.

(Dress the knives.)

(dress the edges of the knives)

The above reasons are why writing this article was so hard. It’s hard to define what makes a “better” cutting board. Some people would prefer a hard cutting board and sharpen their knives at regular intervals. Others prefer a softer cutting board and deal with the regular maintenance of a wood cutting board (or buying a new one every so often). Personally, my rubber cutting board is a vestige of my childhood memories, growing up in a Chinese restaurant. I recall my grandfather, mother, and father all working on the same type of board. I like its softness and durability, its tremendous weight, and its low maintenance. I agree with felix penfold that knives should be sharpened regularly, but I find once a day plenty (I sharpen prior to using the knife).
Of them all, I can only make this comment on the size of cutting boards: don’t get one bigger than you can reasonably wash. I have a giant melamine cutting board (18’x24") that is fine for big things like fish, but for day-to-day use, gimme my 14" round rubber cutting board.