Spoiler! (Who wrote this old SF story?)

I’m hoping that a Doper who knows science fiction stories could help me out.

A long time ago, I read a story in some compilation of the best science fiction stories of all time, or a certain decade…I forget.

Anyways, the plot was about a scientist who had invented a machine, or potion that would speed up the evolutionary process, 10,000 years in a second, or a million years in a second. Something big like that. The scientist, wanting to benefit humanity, uses it on himself. As he keeps zapping himself, his brain keeps growing and he becomes good and then really evil. It ends when he has reduced himself to a pile of goo.

I was wondering who wrote the story and what the title is, so I could read it again.

Thanks.

I haven’t seen that in print, but I remember an episode of The Outer Limits (the original series) that had the same premise.

The story is probably “The Man Who Evolved”, by Edmond Hamilton. It was reprinted in “Before The Golden Age”, an anthology of early '30’s science fiction edited by Isaac Asimov.

I agree with the previous speaker. The story can also be found in the “Best of Edmond Hamiliton” collection (published by Doubleday, I think).

Yeah, I am sure it was Hamilton too. That’s an interesting collection. A lot of his work is hopelessly dated now, of course (using whole planets to kill aliens?), but some is pretty nifty. I still remember the one about the boy born with wings…

Yeah, I am sure it was Hamilton too. That’s an interesting collection. A lot of his work is hopelessly dated now, of course (using whole planets to kill aliens?), but some is pretty nifty. I still remember the one about the boy born with wings…

Thanks, all. I’ve picked up a used copy of The Best Of…and found some other neat Hamilton stories too (Like The Man Who Returned, and Fessenden’s Worlds)