Sports you used to follow, but don't (much) anymore

In the Villages in Florida ,they have smoke free bowling allies. That is so nice. You don’t realize how much smoke you suck in while you bowl.

NFL, NBA and sumo. Since I live in Japan, and don’t have cable, then it’s just too hard to keep up with American sports.

I really got into sumo when I was first here, but just drifted away. I don’t really follow anything now.

Same here, sort of. I was never a big fan of the sport but would always try to catch a Cubs game when I could, even night games on my Dad’s shortwave–that dinosaur had great range on AM and I could pick up WGN from New Orleans after sundown. Lost interest after Sandberg retired.

The NBA. It sucks anymore.

I was a huge NHL fan. I had Kings season tickets and I used to watch games on TV, no matter who was playing. Then I moved away from LA to Sacramento where hockey is about as foreign as Nepalese cuisine. Also I got married and I just didn’t have the time and resources anymore to follow it the way I used to. I still follow it a bit online and in the newspaper, especially the Kings. But I can’t really say I am avid anymore.

I really only like American football. I used to watch college football, but now really only watch pro.

NASCAR. It used to fill a void from after the Super Bowl up until baseball. When Rusty Wallace retired and Mark Martin reduced his schedule, I lost some interest.

I follow the PGA avidly up until the Masters. After the Masters, I tend to only follow the Majors.

I think a lot of this has to do with me having access to so many sports. I can watch the NHL and MLB online. I’ve got so much sports programming on tv that I don’t have time to keep up with everything.

I was never a BIG fan of either hockey or the NBA, but back when I was a teenager I knew most of the players, knew what teams were good and what ones were bad, watched some games on TV, went to games occasionally. These days–nope. I did a sporcle quiz on NHL leaders last year. Got Ovechkin, tried Sidney Crosby and Martin Brodeur, thought of a couple of others, and before long clicked “Give Up”–well over half the names were COMPLETELY unfamiliar to me, and nearly all the rest I could only have said “Hockey player” about if asked to ID them–no team, no position, no idea of whether they were good or not. Basketball the same way.

My sport was always baseball, and I’m still interested, but not as much as I used to be. Less time than I had when I was younger, and I can’t sit still long enough to watch games on tv. Also, two other things: money and drugs. Bonds, Clemens, Ramirez, Palmeiro, McGwire, Ortiz, Gagne, Pettitte, Sosa–the list goes on and on and the reaction from MLB and the players’ union both has been ridiculous. As for $, the gap in payroll is so enormous that it isn’t fun. When the Yankees buy half the good players and the Red Sox can spend $50 million just to NEGOTIATE with one player, it sucks much of the enjoyment out of the game for me.

That’s my primary interest as well. I’ll follow the Reds for awhile (as filler until the next NFL season), and Kentucky basketball with some interest (after the NFL season is over) but its football all year round for me.

College basketball. I bought the preseason mags each year, knew everything about each Big10 team, and loved Big Monday on ESPN. I had my brackets complete within a couple minutes of the last match-up being announced. I lived for he first 4 days of the tournament, and know I managed to be home for the opening day each year from 8th grade through my soph year of college. But then the interest faded, and by 2003, I was consumed with English and European soccer/football. Now, I might watch the Final Four, but it’s the Champions League draws that get my attention. I used to feel bad about it, but some other kid has filled the void I left.

Baseball. Three strikes and you’re out, right?

Strike One: The 1994 strike and cancellation of the World Series.

Strike Two: Tearing down Yankee Stadium (and Tiger Stadium). There’s too much history there to destroy it. Pittsburgh fans don’t go a day without wishing they had Forbes Field back.

Strike Three: The steroid scandal. Not because the players used them, but because the fans got what they wanted and are now crying about it, calling it cheating. All the steroids in the world won’t make me hit a baseball. They won’t make me throw 100 miles per hour. Let them take them. It’s their choice, and since people vote with their feet, they have demonstrated their overwhelming approval, yet they still bitch.

Baseball, you’re out. I have no more time for you.

This certainly helped keep me from becoming interested in baseball once again. I still can’t decide which was worse: management’s “la-la-la-I’m-not-looking-I’m not-listening” attitude towards it for so long (because they liked the results) or the union’s blatant efforts to stymie even the weakest attempts at banning the stuff.

I pretty much have given up on all professional team sports. I never watched the NBA, and watch MLB very rarely. I do watch the NFL, but I simply don’t care about it anymore. I stopped watching the NHL when my Mom passed away, she loved hockey.

I watch and follow the college sports, and golf and tennis.