Squaring the US - a grand tour idea

Sort of inspired to post based on this thread.

PT’s progeny includes a son who turns finishes uni next year, and a younger one who finishes secondary school this year. So next year would be a good and maybe last opportunity for a male bonding, family grand tour with them.

We were musing on the possibilities and practicalities of doing a tour around the US.
Literally starting in say Los Angeles, travelling to Jacksonville, up to New York, back across to Seattle and back down the LA. Or maybe clockwise. :slight_smile:

The trip finder suggested that would be about 150 hours driving, so @ 6 hours per day average that’d take about a month to six weeks with stops & diversions.

Any observations whether this is simply preposterous or something that, with a bit of planning and preparation, is feasible, maybe even not unusual? Would it be better to do by train? Also, what time of year would this best be attempted?

Go for it! That sounds like fun.

I’ve done most of that, in pieces over the years. Lots to see and do. The first order of business is to set your time frame. That will determine what to include and what to leave out.

Do It! :slight_smile:

Not being American, I can’t help with most of your queries, but it seems to me that 6 hours a day driving doesn’t leave you a whole lot of time to stop and actually enjoy things. I mean, road trips are fun, but for me it’s all about the destination rather than the actual travelling. Otherwise, why not just circumnavigate Australia and save on the air fares? I think it’s a cool idea, but if it were me I think I’d plan on a max of 3 hours driving per day, on average. Maybe some days plan to be on the road for 12 hours (assuming the driving is shared), but then staying 2-3 days in one place. I realise you’ve already allowed a bit for this sort of thing, I’m just saying that if possible, I’d rather take nearer 2 months to give more R&R.

I would probably add in more time than a month and a half. I also wouldn’t be quite so keen on just keeping to the edges. You can miss a lot that way.

If it were miy trip, and I were starting in LA, I’d head to the Grand Canyon and then through the south Utah parks and the Mesa Verde region, then cut south through Taos and Santa Fe, across to Amarillo before working your way down to NoLa. Then maybe hit Mobile and some Florabama beaches on your way to St. Augustine. Then up the coast to Savannah and Charleston before cutting back to Asheville and the Great Smokies. Then wind your way up to Shenandoah NP. From there drop over to DC and I guess up to Philly (this route makes you miss Jamestown and Williamburg though which is a bit of a shame,) but maybe Gettysburg first. From Philly, I guess NYC and from there to Boston and Plymouth maybe the Cape. If you have time, pop up into Maine at least to Portland, but maybe not. From Boston, zip over to the Finger Lakes and cross at Niagara. Hop up to Toronto and then across southern Ontario to Detroit. From here you have a choice, you can either swing south and hit Chicago or pop north. I’m a nature guy, so I’d probably go through the Straits of Mackinac and stop at the island, but whatever interests you. Then I’d head across the UP to Apostle Islands and from there down to Minneapolis (This sucks because you’ll miss Voyageurs NP, but what can one do?) Then I’d take the southern route across South Dakota (which also sucks because you’ll miss Teddy Roosevelt NP, my favorite NP, but what can one do?) Anyway, you’ll hit Badlands NP and Mt. Rushmore and really a billion things to do in the Black Hills, but then I’d go into Wyoming at Devil’s Tower and then cross to Yellowstone, then up to Glacier. I’d cross at Glacier and go up to Banff and across to Vancouver. Here you have a choice. Personally, I’d cross to the island and visit Victoria before cutting south through Olympic NP and the Hoh rainforest, but you’ll miss Seattle and Mt. Rainier. Anyway, I’d probably work my way down to Portland before angling to the coast, then cut back inland to Crater Lake and then back to the coast for Redwood NP before taking the coast all the way back to LA via San Francisco.

There’s your loop and a month and a half is cutting it close. We did a Chicago to Chicago loop to Vancover that was comparable to the route I just gave you only we cut back at around Reno and did Denver to Chicago in a day and it took us 28 days. We did a Chicago to Phoenix and back in 17 days (via Amarillo on the way down and Grand Junction on the way back) When you get to the Northeast, there is just so much stuff to do that you crawl. It’s a week for us to roadtrip from roughly Pittsburgh to Boston and back if you’re actually touring and not just driving (the driving distance is trivial, but there’s a ton of stuff to do.) Last summer we did a Pittsburgh to Dallas loop where we dropped 14 hours in one day to make it to Mobile and it took us 15 days (of course, we were lolly-gagging on that trip a couple days at the beach, a few days in NoLa, a few days in San Antonio, swamp tours, amusement parks, a wasted day touring the Cowboys stadium and practice facility-don’t ask, my boy is a fan. He did get to meet their quarterback, so he was pretty amped-- anyway, it added up.)

Excellent … so that’s my travel agent booked anyway!

I would be so tempted to rent a mid-size Winnebago and hit the road, but it would probably be a super bitch to get over the Rockies–twice!

Maybe. Definitely add more time, but I seriously question senoy’s selection of things to see and do. Especially the inclusion of Canada. An alternative route: LA - San Diego - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - Taos/Santa Fe - El Paso - San Antonio - Jacksonville - Key West - Savannah - Atlanta - Chattanooga - Asheville - Charlotte - DC - Philadelphia - NYC - Boston - Bangor - Buffalo - Grand Rapids - Chicago - Sioux Falls - Rapid City - Billings - Missoula - Spokane - Seattle - Portland - San Francisco - LA. You’re not missing anything in the middle.

Or a camper van. I rented a 80s era VW Vanagon from this company last summer for a trip to view the full solar eclipse. They also have modern campers, which would be more suitable for cross-country travel (if they allow it). They are based out of Seattle so that would alter the travel plans a bit, but there are probably similar van rental places in LA or other parts of the country. I know there is another outfit that has offices in Denver and Las Vegas that I’ve also considered using.

The OP also asked about train travel. While the US doesn’t have the best train system, it is possible to cover quite a bit of the country. Here is a map: Amtrak

Heh, I said if it were my trip. :slight_smile: For all I know, he likes to see giant balls of yarn. :slight_smile:

I excluded southern Florida because it’s a freakin’ haul down there. It’s 1000 miles roundtrip from Jacksonville to Key West. It’s pretty and I love the Everglades and the Keys, but you’re adding 4 days onto an already tight trip. I definitely wouldn’t skip Zion or Mesa Verde. Chattanooga isn’t a bad little town, but Atlanta is a hole and probably my least favorite city in the US, so Charleston >> Atlanta and Chattanooga. I think that missing out on Glacier is a big mistake and Banff is a an absolute wonder if for no other reason than Lake Louise. I don’t mind skipping Toronto, but I don’t see why not just shave off the time on the north side of Erie instead of bothering with the south side. Nothing against it, but it’s also skippable. If my choice of city to visit is Toronto or Cleveland, sorry Cleveland unless you happen to just love Rock and Roll. Also, why Grand Rapids? The southern Lake Michigan coast is fine, Holland is nice and Redamak’s in New Buffalo is the first place I used a fake ID (actually, my cousin did, but that’s a different story) but I can’t see why you’d bother detouring out of your way for it.

Chicago was a tough one to take off the list since it’s one of my more favorite cities, but I was thinking that traffic is a bear and you’re just pulling off of the East Coast portion which is tons of city, so Mackinac and the UP might just be a more enjoyable time to take a break from cities, but I wouldn’t fault going through Chicago and if I did, then I’d skip Minneapolis, but probably still go the northern route to Sioux Falls maybe take a tour of the Dells. I also seriously question that Rapid City to Spokane route. You’re basically skipping everything good about that area by staying on I-90. Sure, if you’re trying to make time it’s fine, but you’re skipping both Yellowstone and Glacier in favor of freaking Missoula? Nah man, that’s just crazy talk.

As for missing the middle, I’d say that the biggest misses on my route are northern Utah and Colorado as well as the Mississippi River Valley. Mississippi River Valley towns and cities have a lot of real character to them and it’s a shame to miss them on the ‘Grand Tour’, but what you gonna do. NoLa will have to represent them all.

I will say though that I like the idea of putting San Antonio and El Paso on that route. I don’t think it’s that far out of the way and San Antonio is worth seeing. If you could slip down to Big Bend without totally killing your schedule I think that wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

I did something a lot like this in the summer of 1983. Did more of a triangle than a square, with vertices in D.C., L.A., and the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state.

Took 6 weeks, typically drove 10-12 hours on the days I drove, because the point was to have time to spend time at a number of the places I stopped. I saw relatives in Kansas, Colorado, L.A., and Oregon; spent a few days on the north rim of the Grand Canyon, and an entire glorious week in Glacier National Park; spent a couple nights each on the Olympic peninsula and in the Black Hills/Badlands area of South Dakota. Most other places I visited involved stops of no more than a couple of hours, or were where I camped for the night.

That was without a doubt the best trip of my life. (Alas, I’ll probably never go on another trip like that: my wife’s tolerance for travel wears thin after ~2 weeks away from home.)

Just for me personally, six weeks was about my limit for being on the road. I remember I signed up one day to be on a wild cave tour of one of the big Black Hills caves (Wind Cave, I think) the following day, but in between, I just felt the urge to get back home and off the road. (Must’ve been a pretty strong urge, too, because that wild cave tour would have been right up my alley.)

But for someone with the time, money, and tolerance of being on the road a bit longer, taking another week or three would only improve such a trip.

ETA: The reason for that particular triangle is that I’d spent most of my life to that pont in the DC area, and had already done a lot of traveling in the Northeast, plus Virginia and North Carolina. So that was already familiar territory. I wanted to see the rest of the country, particularly the west.

Those. Are. Sweet! Thanks for the tip; I change my recommendation.

When I was a kid we did several tours of the US starting in the bay area and going as far east as Iowa but they were generally two month tours because we hit a lot of stops and we were small kids so multiple long days in the car are hard.

I would book more time for your trip. 6 hour days sitting for 6 weeks straight will be tough once you add in gas and restroom breaks plus food that’s going to be 8 hour days every day. I would look at it more like work and do no more then five 6 hours driving days in a row then take a two day break. That will extend your trip by 12 days or so but it will make it much more enjoyable and give you time to see some more sights.

Yeah, the slog down to Key West is a royal pain, but it has to be done. The corners, you see. What’s the point of being in America’s wang if you don’t get down to the drip off the end? :smiley:

Of course, you could always hop a commuter flight from JAX to EYW. That would save countless hours and give you an aerial view of Chaos.

If you have to abandon Chicago, then the straight shot from Buffalo west makes sense, Canada or no. As for the trek across the north…it’s anybody’s guess what they’ll want to see. Just know that Mount Rushmore is a bore. Devil’s Tower is so much better. Then spend a night of two at Custer State Park.

I did a modified/personalized version of the Four Corners tour on my bike once
https://sc-ma.com/rides/usa-four-corners-tour-site/
What I did different was cut the Key West leg at Gainesville; I just didn’t want to go up and down Florida at that time. Some other folks I know did Saco Maine to Seattle Washington to Lorado Texas to Gainesville and back to Maine or at least NYC and loved it. Basically a rectangle over the US map.

As long as you recognize that you’re going to be spending any time in these fabulous places I’d say go for it. You’ll arrive somewhere, see a few things that you can do in an afternoon or out a car window, check into a hotel or set up a tent, and then move on the next day. I would cut the number of places visited in half, spend 10-12 hours a day driving between stops, and spend a few days in each place. I’d also eliminate the trip to Jacksonville, and many of the other smaller cities that simply don’t appeal to me.

If possible, I’d split this into two trips - one for the western US and one for the east.

Here is a sample trip showing approximately where you will be each day. It covers 38 days, roughly evenly split between drive days (18) and stay days (20). I vehemently disagree with there being nothing to see in the US interior, but unless you want to add another 2 months to the trip, it’s probably an either/or choice.
[ul]
*Stays Drive time Days Place
*LA 0 5

• 6 1 Phoenix, AZ
  • 6 1 Las Cruces, NM
  • 6 1 Lubbock, TX
  • 6 1 Austin, TX
  • 6 1 Baton Rouge, LA
  • 8.5 1 Jacksonville, FL
    *Jacksonville 0 5
  • 7.5 1 Rocky Mount, NC
  • 9 1 New York, NY
    *NY 0 5
  • 6 1 Pittsburgh, PA
  • 6 1 Indianapolis, IN
  • 8 1 Eau Claire, WS
  • 7.5 1 Bismark, ND
  • 6 1 Billings, MN
  • 8 1 Spokane, WA
  • 4 1 Seattle, WA
    *Seattle 0 5
  • 7 1 Medford, OR
  • 6 1 Modesto, CA
  • 6 1 LA, CA
  • 119.5 38
    [/ul]

Dangit, no idea how to display an Excel table here…

Back when Typo Knig was in graduate school, we took 4 weeks off and did a cross-country drive. More of a triangle than a square, as we started and ended in North Carolina. Overall, about 8,000 miles on the car.

I’d say your timing would depend on your goals for the trip. Do you want to see natural wonders? big cities? In our case, we were more into natural wonders, and timed our driving accordingly - concentrating on heavy driving day(s) interrupted by longer stops in a location. For example, we spent 3 solid days driving from NC to Colorado Springs, then spent time there; another long driving day to Grand Teton National Park and a few days there, 2 long driving days to Seattle then some time there… 3 days driving down the west coast (camping along the way) - that was probably the only part where we combined scenery with driving . A few days in Berkeley, then we hit the road and had nearly 5 solid driving days to get home, with stops each night to sleep in a hotel. I’m still sorta kicking myself for being within 50 miles of the Grand Canyon when heading east on I-40, and NOT taking the side trip, but we were “sceneried out” by then (we did visit the GC nearly 20 years later).

All in all, I’d estimate 160 hours of driving, since we tended to average 50 mph when factoring in stops etc.

Our heavy driving days tended to be 12-14 hours.

Consider your vehicle. We did it in a Mazda 626 sedan (with a cartop carrier for tent etc.). You might consider renting a minivan or something - more luggage space, more legroom, more space for stuff like a big cooler. Having lunch “on board” saves a lot of travel time (we kept sandwich fixings etc.). It’s 33 years later and we still have our big cooler!

Another thing we did was to have only soft-sided luggage (duffels etc.). That way we could have all our clean stuff in one bag and put the dirty clothing in another bag. The clean bag would compress as the dirty bag grew, so they took up the same amount of space in the car. I’m sure we did laundry en route, at some point, but I honestly don’t remember where or when. I do remember that in Grand Teton, we had to drive 10 miles or so to another campground to shower, LOL.

Your particular route would be eminently doable by train - there are several ways to get from New York to Chicago, thence from Chicago to Seattle, then down the west coast, then across the southern part of the US. There are two trains daily that go from Florida up to NYC. You’d want to make sure to allow for stopovers of several days in various places, then you’d need to arrange for rental car etc. there. On-train accommodations are worth looking into - they add a fair bit to the cost but you’d feel MUCH better on arrival if you’ve gotten some lying-down sleep time.

An RV rental might be an option, depending on your trip goals. It won’t save you money over hotels / trains / driving, but it will give you the convenience of not having to trek luggage into hotels, and you can stop wherever you like for a bit of rest.

It’s fun to have a theme or themes for the trip – goals or activities you seek out as a family and that you’ll go a bit out of the way to accomplish. For example, take a family portrait each time you cross a state line. Or see how many state capitols you can visit. Or collect a specific type of souvenir (shot glasses, bumper stickers, postcards). I collect a pine cone from each state, and when possible, from each tourist attraction.

My brother and I are roller coaster enthusiasts and did a “coast-to-coast coaster tour”, starting with the Giant Dipper in Santa Cruz and ending with the Cyclone at Coney Island (we then went into Canada for La Ronde). Our itinerary was based on the location of the great coasters, but we were very flexible and figured out each day’s travel over breakfast.

What worked best for us was flexibility. We agreed not to be bound by plans and schedules and to not get upset when something didn’t work out (e.g., Wally World closed). However, we were knowledgeable about possibilities before we left; for me, planning and learning are fun. Maybe each person on your trip could have a learning assignment.

As others have mentioned, Mount Rushmore is a little disappointing, but probably still something to cross off your bucket list (I have a pine cone). But if you’re in that neighborhood, see the Crazy Horse Memorial – not finished but definitely not underwhelming.

n/m