Squashing White Bunny Rabbits in Valentine TX on US-90

Very truly mundane…

I was just looking at a map of western Texas and saw the tiny town of Valentine, and it conjured this memory. A few months back I was driving to Big Bend National Park by way of White Sands National Monument. It was late at night when I drove through, a dark and moonless night, and I was the only car on the road for miles because it was around midnight. US-90 leading to Valentine is smooth and straight as an arrow. The speed limit was fast, very fast - 70 or 75, IIRC. It might even have been 80 - God Bless Texas! I was flying, tunes playing, I’m singing along. Here is a map.

Before the the town of Valentine on the 2-lane highway (1 lane in each direction), all of a sudden this herd of white bunny rabbits, startled by my approaching headlights, comes running out from the tall grass to my right and onto the road!! It all happened so fast and the best thing to do was to keep it pointed straight and slow down as best I could. I got down to maybe 55-60.

I winced as the herd approached my tires. What were these fuckers thinking??? Sure enough I heard and felt about 3-4 thumps and bumps.

OH NO!!! I was now a bunny killer. Stupid critters! (sigh) :shakes head:

A few seconds later I was back up to speed, pressing on towards BBNP. And then it happened again! And then later, yet again! It happened about 4 or 5 times within a span of about 5 miles. :frowning:

Stupid, fucking, cute bunny rabbits.

I had exactly the same experience in the same place once many years ago. I was driving from Marathon TX to Big Bend before dawn one morning, and I was going through bunnies like grasshoppers. I’m sure I killed dozens in the couple of hours drive.

It was jtur88, on the road, with the car.

He did it, Your Honor.

Everything you read on the internet does not constitute proof of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Not yet.

As with all else, Hanna-Barbera did it first. :slight_smile:

Nobody taught them about the hrududu.
:frowning:

Rabbits scattered on dawn’s highway bleeding.

Visions of red and white splotches on the pavement. We only need some blue and it will be downright patriotic.

Why were they white? Aren’t wild bunnies brown or grey?

At night all you would see is their cute furry white behinds. The brown or grey would blend into the highway.

For me it was frogs. A 1/2 mile stretch that had Leopard frogs covering it and they squished and you could hear them hitting the bottom of the van. It was on a curve so I couldn’t just stop and maybe try herding them off the sides… not that frogs herd that well.

I was able to gather these responses to the tragedy:
A radio newscaster “Oh, the car-nage!”
Laverne and Shirley “Hasenpfeffer decapitated!”
Elmer Fudd “Heh, heh, I got them wascally wabbits this time!”
Julia Child “The best vegetable to serve with rabbit? Local squash.”
Guy Fieri “What is the best grill for rabbit? '68 Camaro.”

A group of rabbits is called a herd.

A group of frogs is called an army or colony or knot. For criminy sakes alive! Sheesh! :rolleyes:

http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Pointless/AnimalGroups.html

:slight_smile:

The Black Rabbit is a Volkswagen! It makes perfect sense!

I would say, for this thread, " Bury, Trace" for rabbits would be more applicable :smiley:

Ghosts crowd the young child’s fragile Cadbury eggshell mind.

Yeah I noticed that. And, agreed. For the OP when I did a quick search it came back with herd.

Knock, knock.
Who’s there?
Ether.
Ether who?
Ether Bunny.

Knock, knock.
Who’s there?
Samoa.
Samoa who?
Samoa Ether Bunnies.

Knock, knock.
Who’s there?
Cargo.
Cargo who?
Cargo “Beep, Beep!” and run over all of the Ether Bunnies.

:smiley: