Squid Game: Korean series on Netflix (Spoilers)

As I mentioned above, if you watch the Korean language version, the robot doesn’t say “Red Light…Green Light”. She sings a little song, identical each time, so it’s easy to predict when she’s about to finish and spin around. It looks weird in the dubbed English, since as you say, players stop in unison before she actually starts to say “Red Light”.

It’s established early on that 001 is (supposedly) terminal and suffers from dementia, which before the reveal explains all of his odd behavior.

Yeah, but one of the things that made me suspicious of him was how convenient his dementia was. He was not able to remember his name when asked and made a real show of it.

Yeah, maybe I’m just oblivious, but I didn’t see the twist coming at all. During the game, I just thought “Oh, he’s completely clueless to the fact that people are dying around him.”

Thought surely there’d be a thread on this. Couldn’t find one. We had multiple recs to watch it. We did. We were basically done after 2 episodes - we agreed. The dubbing and our closed captions never matched and it was annoying. BUT…the Mister said “what do you think?” and I said, I wanna know what happens. So we wasted an afternoon. It wasn’t all bad, but I still regret the time spent on it.

My daughter and I watched the first two episodes last night.

She loved them. I thought they were mediocre. A bit too predictable for me. However, I did like the quietness in many scenes; I can’t stand shows that are constantly blasting nondescript background music through the audio track.

We will continue watching them. Hopefully it will get better.

1. There is a thread right here.

2. You picked the incorrect subtitles. You had the Korean-translation subtitles on instead of the direct subtitles for what they were saying. It is right there in the subtitle choices.

I was on the fence about watching this, but I just saw today’s (Monday Korea time) episode of Running Man where they did an authorized parody of the series and now have to watch the actual series!

Even not having seen the series yet, the Running Man episode gave me a sense of wonder and suspense that has me super eager to begin watching it.

For those not familiar with Running Man, it’s a self-proclaimed “urban variety show”, that’s part variety show with regulars and guests, originally focused on an adult version of hide and seek combined with tag where the teams had to tear the name tag off the backs of their opposition. And now focused on less physically challenging games and sometimes movie and TV themed episodes.

You can watch the latest episode, #575 on Kshow123.com http://kshow123.net/show/running-man/episode-575.html

Edit: The parody is titled The Webfoot Octopus Game, because webfoot octopus is much cheaper than squid in Korea.

Also, the majority of the show is unscripted, with the mini-games and in this case the premise of the show completely unknown to the cast. Within the parameters of their screen characters developed over the years, they’re really playing to win. .

538’s “The Riddler” is asking this question today. You should submit your answer:

Hey thanks! I actually found an error in my previous simulation but it doesn’t really affect the quiz. I was undercounting the number of cases where 0 contestants survive, but that’s such a low number in this case that it doesn’t significantly affect the data.

Finished watching it this weekend. A vast majority of my enjoyment of it was from watching with my teenaged child. I, having a much larger viewing history and enjoyment of “twist” stories, had no problem seeing 001 or the brother coming a mile away, but my daughters’ enthusiasm was fantastically contagious. We loved the suspense, the thinking through the games, and the personalities. We both felt horribly let down by the endings.

I’m pissed about one thing, and I need someone to explain this to me:

In the marbles episode, the woman over the PA said something along the lines of that the player who manages to take all ten marbles from their partner wins. I thought for sure that the outcome was going to be for our beloved teams to figure out that they simply had to switch marbles, so both of them would be winners. Yet my great thought didn’t come to fruition and instead didn’t even deserve a throw away line dismissal from the show. Am I missing something? Is it a subtitles issue? Was it obvious in Korean that my plan wouldn’t work? Did I miss a reference to someone “losing” their marbles? I was so excited with my prediction when I had it, and so disappointed with the episode’s outcome.

It occurred to me that in the first Red Light Green Light game, the guns on the walls move quite slowly, and a player could simply run pell-mell at full speed and cross the line without getting shot.

I saw a couple of little kids in Squid Game pink “staff” costumes on Halloween. Kind of disturbing.

I just binged the series for the second time. I saw something that blew my mind. It happened near the end of the season when the three remaining players enter the dormitory room. Now that all of the beds have been removed you can clearly see the black painted figures on the walls of all the games. They have been there from the beginning but were obscured by the beds. I went back and looked at earlier episodes and you can see the figures hidden behind the beds. It is only when the room is shown with only three beds that you can see all six games painted on the walls.

Am I seeing things? Or has this been known and I just wasn’t aware of it?

Figures of the games? Can you just screenshot it and post it? Or tell me the timestamp. I’m curious.

Yes, all the games are represented on the walls of the dorm. People picked up on that pretty early on, it’s featured on all the “Easter Egg” video reviews of the series.

Episode 6, around 1:37, you can begin to see stick figures on the wall, as the beds have been moved around.

Episode 7, 1:15, and then again at 5:45 you can see more of the stick figures, but it’s not immediately obvious what they represent.

Episode 8, 1:40, you can clearly see the figures and what they mean. Including the Squid game they haven’t played yet. If you keep watching that episode, pretty much every scene in the dormitory you can see the figures.

Only vaguely related, but scammers have used the Squid Game name to rip people off. It’s a classic rugpull, and they even used terms from the game (such as “marbles”).

Ironically BBC uncritically reported on the token last week (along with many other media outlets).

Yeah, I’m late to the game. It was figured out early.

I’m on my phone and bad at posting photos, but here is a Buzzfeed article that shows the characters (scroll,down to #2)

https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/squid-game-details-easter-eggs