St. Chrispan (?) Anyone know who....

Fist of all I am not sure of the spelling of St. Chrispan. I think He/She is a British Saint.

See I am trying to validate my sisters distress by checking out just who exactly Saint Chrispan is. Her Husband is South African/British. She recently attended a wedding in Surrey where towards the end everyone was ‘pissed’ and one of her husbands cousins wouldn’t stop calling her Chrispan – Her name is Christen – so either he was too pissed to pronounce Christen, or he was making reference to Chrispan…

Anyone in the British world know any origin of Saint Chrispan? or why this person was making fun…drunk or some other hidden meaning?

He’s the patron saint of secretatries, because he did everything in triplicate.

But seriously, his name was (in English) Crispin (martyred c. 286 CE) and his patronage is leatherworking and related trades. His feast day is October 25th, hence his mention in the famous “Saint Crispin” day speech in Shakespeare’s Henry V, since the Battle of Agincourt happened to be on October 25, 1415.

St. Crispian.

And the only reason anyone is asking is probably because Shakespeare referred to it in one of the greatest speeches in the English language in Henry the Fifth. Henry is exhorting his troops to battle at Agincourt (after many defeats and slogging about in the rain and mud in a foreign country and says something like:

“and they will hold their manhood cheap who were not with us on this St. Crispin’s day” etc. etc.

They go on to win the most one sided battle against superior forces (cept for the longbows!) since Alexander the Great.

Incidentally, that speech is approximately one million times more inspiring than Mel Gibson’s “They ma’ tek awr lawnd, but thell ne’er take owr FHREEDUM!”

You can’t beat the bard.

Incidentally, that speech is approximately one million times more inspiring than Mel Gibson’s “They ma’ tek awr lawnd, but thell ne’er take owr FHREEDUM!”

You can’t beat the bard.