Stacked Washer/Dryer combo

Wow, I am FULL of MPSIMS today…

Has anyone had any experience with those stackable washer/dryer combos? I am thinking of getting one, as my back can’t take bending over for the dryer much longer. Are they much smaller then regular machines? Any special hookup problems?
Zette

“If I had to live your life, I’d be begging to have someone pop out both my eyes. Just in case I came across a mirror.” - android209 (in the Pit)
Zettecity
Voted “Most Empathetic”- can you believe that?

My experience is that they’re much smaller than normal ones and not nearly as effective.

Seems to me I saw a “This Old House” or “Home Again” episode that featured it and they were regular sized. The new ones anyway.

They seem pretty expensive. If you don’t want to bend, did you think of maybe putting the dryer on a stand?

My neighbours have those Zette girl and she loves it but does complain that they are smaller than the regular ones.

We are, each of us angels with only one wing,and we can only fly by embracing one another

Actually, no I had not thought of that. The first thought that came to mind was the stacking variety of washer/dryer, since the washer is at waist level, and the dryer is shoulder level. I’ll look into that very idea. Thanks for the idea.
Zette

“If I had to live your life, I’d be begging to have someone pop out both my eyes. Just in case I came across a mirror.” - android209 (in the Pit)
Zettecity

We got one about 8 months ago. By no means am I a laundy expect, but ours seems to work just fine. Now, lugging that motherfucker up a winding staircase…that’s another story.

mouthbreather (love that name)
What kind did you get? Is it full sized?
Zette

Zettecity

I’m pretty sure it’s a Kenmore. My sister picked it out, so I could be wrong. I tend not to not notice shit about household appliances.

I don’t know what constitutes “full-size” with a washer-dryer. I can fit about 8 pairs of jeans and pants in the washer before it’s full. Or 15 undershirts and 15 pairs of boxers. Sorry if this sounds stupid, I’m just trying to give you a reference point.

Zette,

All the stackable sets I have seen have the washer on the bottom, with the door in the front. So you would still have to bend to put the clothes in there.

Unless you have found a diffrent type.

" The opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s indifference."
Elie Wiesel

Winner SDMB Biggest Flirt (Female) and Least Shy (No Mom, I have no idea why they think that)

Ours has the washer on the bottm, but the lid is on the top, not the front. Its kind of hard to explain how it’s shaped to accomodate this feature…Ill see if I can find a picture of it

here’s a picture

http://www2.sears.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=3027&prrfnbr=60619

There are actually two different kinds…there is one that is a single combo unit with a top-loading washer below and a front-loading dryer above. I used to have one. They come in two sizes: teeny and kinda small. I had the teeny one, and I’d say it would be ideal for one person. For two-plus-a-kid, like my family, it was too small and we ran it every day to keep up with the laundry. Don’t expect to do bedspreads or blankets in it.

Now we have the other kind: washer and dryer, both front-loading, that can go side by side, under a counter, or stacked, your choice. We opted for putting the dryer atop the washer (you can’t do it the other way…the washer is too heavy to go on top.) The washer is smaller than a top-loader washer, but because there’s no agitator it has just as much capacity. Plus, a front-loader uses less water and less soap, and you can really CRAM it full of clothes – if you can force the door closed, the load will get clean. The down side is they are more expensive; if you look at the long run, though, the savings in water, detergent, and electricity (fewer loads) offset that.

Live a Lush Life
Da Chef

Mouthbreather- great link- looks like just what I’m looking for!

Chef- thanks for the info, but I’m specifically looking for stacked top loading washer + dryer, so I don’t have to bend over and reach into the washer or dryer.

Thanks guys! Anyone else with ideas, post 'em!
Zette

Zettecity