Star of both TV and movies

I got to thinking about this the other day and decided to throw it out to the SDMB. Not many big screeners have made it on the small screen (Anthony Quinn, Shirley McClain and Henry Fonda come to mind), and few small screeners have made it on the big screen (although hundreds, if not thousands, have tried).

This is sort of like the game we had last year (where we were trying to find actors who had three or more successful series). Name an actor (male or female) who has been successful on both movies and television.

Some ground rules:

1. They have to have appeared in a TV series that lasted at least two full seasons (although these days what is a full season? Two shows?). This would eliminate people who hosted things like Hollywood Ralace or were in mini series like Roots. You get extra points (like we are really giving out points) for two series.

2. They have to have at least three successful big-screen movies. In other words Tom Green doesn’t pass on either (number or success) count. However, Bruce Willis would.

3. Hi Opal!

4. They should be the (a) star of both the movies and the TV show(s). I suppose we could extend this to featured player for television, but not for the movies. I think they should be able to carry the movie to be considered.

5. List the actor, what movies and what TV Show(s).

Burt Reynolds-Deliverance, Smokey and The Bandit and The Man Who Love Cat Dancing- TV Evening Shade, Dan August

1. Limit yourself to no more than three names at any single post-this gives everybody a shot at taking part. and wait at least one person posting before you post again (unless you screwed up and need to apologize for something - most of us have done that).

George Clooney (ER, lots of movies)

Robin Williams (Mork and Mindy, lots of movies)

[Steve McQueen**

TV - Wanted Dead or Alive

Movies - *The Great Escape, Magnificent Seven, Bullitt, etc.[/I
James Garner:

TV - Maverick, Rockford Files, etc.

Movies - The Great Escape, Americanization of Emily, Murphy’s Romance, etc. (albeit probably not a movie star on the scale of McQueen or Willis)

Sally Field – The Flying Nun on TV; Norma Rae Academy Award (“You really like me!!!”) winner. Steel Magnolias, Not My Child, and many, many others.

Actually, though, does she even count? I am thinking she played in a Gidget movie first.

Hmmm…let me know what the judges decide. I can come up with others, I’m sure.

Clint Eastwood
Rawhide
Too many movies to mention.

What do I win?

Bruce Willis - * Moonlighting * and tons of movies the Die Hard series for three.

Mike Meyers - SNL and wait you said 3 SUCCESSFUL movies. Well his 3rd is in the can. Wait, my SO just suggested the first Wayne’s World and Shreck.

dead0man

Michael J. Fox
TV Shows: Family Ties, Spin City
Movies: Back to the Future I, II, III, Doc Hollywood, etc.

Tom Sellack (sp?)

TV- Magnum P.I., Several guest spots on Friends

Movies- Three Men and a Baby comes readily to mind, but I forget the others.

Ryan O’Neal

TV: Peyton Place
Movies: Paper Moon, Barry Lyndon, Love Story
John Travolta

TV: Welcome Back, Kotter
Movies: Pulp Fiction, Saturday Night Fever, Urban Cowboy

William Shatner

TV: Star Trek, some cop show I never watched
Movies: Star Trek, Star Trek, and, let’s see, Star Trek

Tom Hanks

TV: Bosom Buddies
Movies: Yeah, right.

Billy Crystal
Soap I think was the popular sitcom in which he played “the gay son”, and he was on SNL when it was still funny.

Craig T. Nelson
Coach has been in a slew of movies from Poltergiest to the Devil’s Advocate

Woody Harrelson
Has done a whole heck of a lot since his days on CHeers on both the big and small screen.

Danny Devito - went from Taxi on TV to become a movie actor and director.

Eddie Murphy - from SNL to Beverly Hills Cop, Golden Child and tons of movies…a few of them were bound to have made some money.

Dick Van Dyke has done a hell of a lot of stuff on screens big and small.

I’d imagine Bill Cosby is in a similar situation too.

Loretta Young (movies: too many to list. TV show: The Loretta Young Show, 1953–62)

Alfred Hitchcock (movies: too many to list. TV show: Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 1955–62)

Robert Montgomery (movies: too many to list. TV show: Robert Montgomery Presents, 1950–57)

Ann Sothern (movies: too many to list. TV shows: The Ann Sothern Show, 1958–61, Private Secretary, 1953, My Mother the Car, 1965)

Burns and Allen (movies: Six of a Kind, The Big Broadcast, International House, others. TV Show: The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, 1950–58)

Ben Lyon and Bebe Daniels (movies: too many to list separately and co-starring. TV Show: Life with the Lyons, 1955–60, UK)

We could all cheat and go back to the “three successful TV shows” thread to get ideas.

One that won’t show there will be Patrick Stewart, who didn’t have three successful TV series (just ST:TNG), but who was in three Star Trek movies, plus Dune (he plays Gurney Halleck) and Conspiracy Theory amongst others.

There’s also Will “The Fresh Prince” Smith, whom we all know from TV’s The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. He was in Independence Day, Men in Black, and most recently, Ali.

How about Kyle MacLachlan? Twin Peaks the TV series. Movies include - Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, Dune, and Blue Velvet. Some sort of David Lynch fest going on here.

Helen Hunt. Star of “Mad About You” and won an Oscar for “As Good As It Gets,” plus has been in some other commercially successful films.

Ron Howard. Star of two beloved TV shows, “Andy Griffith Show” and “Happy Days,” many TV movies, and the producer of TV programs like “24” and “Felicity.” and later the star, producer and/or director of innumerable successful, high-qualiy motion pictures, including (an an actor) “American Graffiti,” “The Shootist” and as a director, “Splash,” “Apollo 13,” “A Beautiful Mind” and “Backdraft.”

Carroll O’Connor. Starred in a huge number of motion pictures in the 1960s. Later became the Emmy-winning star of the groundbreaking series “All in the Family” and then later starred in another hit series, “In The Heat of the Night.”

Red Skelton TV: “The Red Skelton Show”; Movies: “Merton of the Movies,” “DuBarry Was a Lady”; “The Yellow Cab Man” among others.

Danny Kaye TV: “The Danny Kaye Show”; Movies: “The Inspector General,” “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty,” and “The Court Jester,” among others

Jack Benny TV: “The Jack Benny Show”: Movies: “The Horn Blows at Midnight,” “To Be or Not to Be,” and “Charley’s Aunt,” plus others.

Lee Marvin TV: M Squad; Film: Cat Ballou, The Dirty Dozen, The Professionals, etc.

Pierce Brosnan TV: Remington Steele; Film: Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough.

Roger Moore: TV: The Saint, Maverick (was he on that one for two seasons?); Film: The Wild Geese, and all his Bond films.

Johnny Depp
TV: 21 Jump Street (1987-1990)
Film: Nightmare on Elm Street, Platoon, Benny & Joon, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Dead Man, Before Night Falls, etc.
Granted, some of those films aren’t necessarily successful big screen movies, but he’s at least one tv actor who’s worked consistently with some of the better people in Hollywood.