Star Trek Discovery Season 3 (Open Spoilers)

I thought of her as Lesley Crusher.

Other points–Earth’s sensor range doesn’t reach Saturn. And they traveled form Saturn to Earth in 5 seconds or so, which means around 1,000 times the speed of light. Without warp.

And yes, that music is horrible. I was thinking while watching about how for V:The Series they hired soap opera writers instead of SF writers, and it showed. Discovery is like that: like it is written by veterans of soap opera writing, or possibly Hallmark channel movies.

And neither does radio, apparently - the Titan folks had to send a ship to send a message.

I’m sure ‘The Burn’ is caused by Burnham sending her suit backwards in time…or her mom.

Not only is there Romulan tech to go FTL, there was that ‘space-wave’ in TNG.

I can only guess that subspace transmitters work on dilithium too.

DISCO continues to appear to be written by kids who have never seen the show who have a kabillion dollar budget

I started counting “Characters well up with tears moments” and hit four in the first fifteen minutes. After that I forgot to count, but four is more than a whole season of Star Trek should have.

I’m not even going to get into how illogical the episode plot with the pirates was in any sort of detail; it was so thoroughly bizarre, hole-filled and self-contradictory that I can’t even unpack it all. Most of the worst parts have been mentioned already.

I also don’t understand how Discovery wasn’t vaporized by the first shot, or how people aren’t WAY more incredulous when they see it. It is the equivalent of Columbus’s Santa Maria going up against USS Nimitz.

No, what I’d rather talk about, aside from the hideous dialogue, is that this “Starfleet has vanished and is hiding somewhere” thing is just insanely stupid. I cannot even begin to explain how stupid it is, on so many levels. It makes no sense, zero, for Starfleet to have left Earth. Zeee. Ro. Starfleet WAS Earth’s defense force - I know it served the Federation, but Earth was the capital. It would not leave Earth behind to be defended by the Earth Defense Force or whatever it was called. It would become the Earth Defense Force. And again I have to point out that in the first episode, a character just straight up said “there are two Federation ships right near here” and now that has been retconned into nonexistence literally two episodes later in the same TV show.

There is no way this “the Federation is a super magical thing we have to find because it’s hidden away” plot is going to work or make any logical or thematic sense. It cannot be done.

O

It was only a fucking year, during which she kept pretty active, but Burnham is acting like she was without Discovery for decades. And you don’t get multiple shared “Remember that one time time on Planet Bungholio…” anecdote-strategies out of a year…

Also, based on that last shot, Earth seems to be doing perfectly fine without the Federation. So who needs it?

Right now, I’m just looking forward to the cat vs. Tilly.

Isn’t that exactly what the Planetary Defence Force officer said in the episode? That Earth no longer needs or wants the Federation, thank you very much.

Could be one of those Assignment: Earth cats.

Can you imagine Kirk or Picard or Janeway bursting into tears and hugging all their crew and telling them how much they love rhem?

To be fair, she’s not the Captain. Saru does have much better decorum.

But she’s not a fucking Betazoid either. Looks like that Vulcan calm schtick really got dropped like a hot potato after the first season.

Okay, can you imagine Kirk or Picard or Janeway swooshing their hands behind them when they walk? Because I can, and it is hilarious.

I can see Picard doing it, because Stewart has a sense of humour.

And everyone will pretend to ignore it, except for Worf, who will get more and more perplexed until he explodes with rage.

Cool, so that’s settled. Season over!

Every time I see that I think of the lesson in tough guy walk, “walk like you’re waving away a fart.”

These people are supposed to be military officers, too. They’re co-workers in an environment where people die and get transferred and stuff. If they were this emotionally destroyed over being apart they’d be incapable of doing their jobs. Hell, they’d barely be functioning adults.

Why oh why do I keep watching this Hallmark Channel crap?

Saru: You know, when you were nearly killed and put in a coma, it really drove home what huge liability it is that you’re literally the only person in the universe who can operate the Technobabble Plot Device - I mean, the Spore Drive.

Stamets: I’ve looked for other options, and I’m your only hope. And I’ll never die or be injured or take a nap again. I’m fine, it’s fine.

Saru: Well, we’re now 1000 years in the future, so there’s been 1000 years of technological and scientific progress, so it’s possible someone, somewhere, someone figured something out that might make a difference. You and Tilly should at least look into it…

Tilly: I couldn’t help but eavesdrop. I haven’t bothered to, y’know, actually look at any of the last 1000 years of technological or scientific progress, but I do totally have an idea for using the Universal Technobabble Solution - I mean, Dark Matter, to interface with our Universal Plot Device - I mean, the spore drive. I know we’ve had both of them sitting around since the first episode of the first season, but I just had a new wild idea…

Stamets: Let me stop you there. Despite the fact that the captain has ordered me to work with you to look into the last 1000 years of technological and scientific research, and I’ve agreed that was a good idea, instead of doing that, I’m going to dismiss your idea out of hand, and close with a fan-service zinger for all of our fans who find you annoying.

Emotionally cathartic family dinner/brawl

Stamets: Tilly, after our emotionally cathartic family dinner/brawl, I now realize that I was too quick to dismiss your idea. I mean, I still haven’t even made a handwave towards looking at the last 1000 years of technological and scientific progress, but you’re spunky, so let’s look at your idea instead of literally looking anywhere else to see if anyone has already solved this problem.

Tilly: Yay!