Star Trek Discovery Season 3 (Open Spoilers)

Better writing than the show!

Although all in all, I thought this was the most solid episode of the season yet. I mean, I’m not exactly singing its praise, but I think without all the baggage of Discovery’s over-emotionality, this could’ve been a passable Voyager-episode. Meet some new (well, old) aliens, explore strange new worlds and all that, start off on the wrong foot, yet come out vaguely condescendingly right.

Sure—that it had to be Michael accompanying Lesley Crusher (that’s totally her name now, @Darren_Garrison), plus that among like a dozen Trill, only she could get into the sparkly jacuzzi, rather than anybody who might’ve had a clue about what’s going on, because god forbid any character gets a growth moment that isn’t ultimately due to Burnham’s constantly told, rarely shown excellence was annoying as always, but I think the show’s committed to that; if they let up on it, they’ll just have to face the question of why it was ever introduced in the first place.

I had hoped they were going in some more interesting direction with the character interactions and particularly Detmer, rather than just post-traumatic stress, though. I mean, that’s clearly something that might be interesting to explore, but it would need a good deal of finesse to neither seem trite, nor be overly heavy-handed, which isn’t what the show excels at.

Jesus W. Christ, that was atrocious.

The show as 45 minutes long, give or take, and I would guess no more than 12, 13 minutes of it actually advanced a plot. The vast majority of it was just emoting, and virtually all of it was empty. The show has everything upside down; good drama works because the events of the plot have an emotional impact on the characters, and therefore on the audience. You need STORY and then to let the emotion come out in bits. You can’t just have emotion because it’s formless; emotion coming from nowhere can’t move you.

To use an example, the scene with Leslie Crusher and the Trill boyfriend - you need that to advance the plot, sure. They’re in love, asteroid hit ship, slug goes out of dying boyfriend and into Leslie. Got it. But those flashbacks just dragged on and on and on and on; they had to be ten percent of the episode, at least, and stuffed 90 seconds of story into five minutes of screentime. I was being asked to believe this love story between a couple of teenagers (which right there is difficult for an adult to take seriously - not that teenagers don’t feel love intensely, but come on, they also break up every couple of months) was incredibly deep and meaningful and I should burst into tears at any moment, but fuck’s sake I JUT MET THEM. I know little about Leslie Crusher and nothing about Bluehair Boy. There is no depth of emotion here; you have to construct it, and the only way to do that is with plot. Show them on the ship, show them sharing a kiss, exchange gifts, asteroid, boom. 90 seconds.

Anyone remember “The Imitation Game”? Spoilers ahead. Look away if you must.

Over the course of the movie you learn, gradually, that Alan Turing (Benedict Cumberbatch) is gay. You learn that as a youth he fell in love with another boy, and the boy, sadly, fell ill and died, devastating him; when you find this out, yoiu realize why Turing had named the codebreaking computer “Christopher,” because that was the boy’s name.

This story is tremendously heartbreaking - in all honesty it’s the only part of the movie I thought was really good. (It is not entirely true but that’s another issue) And in the course of that two hours movie, it takes less time to tell it than they spend on Leslie Crusher and Bluehair Boy in that TV episode. Certainly no more time - five, six minutes, tops. That’s all they needed, because they built it up with PLOT, with learning about the character of Alan Turing, what he is like, how he works, his single mindedness, conflicts and cooperation with other characters. When the tragic story is finally told it means something to you, because it’s in the context of a story that was competently built up to something. You CARE about Alan Turing, because you have been shown who he is and what he does and events he lives through, so these moments of revelation land hard.

In Discovery this kind of shit is just hurled at you, scene after scene, often with no setup. BE EMOTIONAL!

That’s only a smidgen of everything wrong with this episode; as usual, Burnham was front and center for no good reason. Detmer’s weird thing at dinner about blood didn’t connect logically to later just “I’m sad” being her issue. On and on. But really it’s mostly just the lack of story.

On a more trival note, was this the first time Star Trek has shown repair robots wandering around? (Not counting Exocomps.)

One the one hand, we didn’t see Michael’s eyes welling up with tears at any point, which was nice; on the other hand, seeing as that’s her sole character trait, she was just a blank space for most of the episode.

On Next Gen, there was an episode where they established a “speed limit” for Warp, which they they proceeded to exceed due to “emergencies”, and then just ignore. Could the Burn have something to do with that?

If this was Lower Decks, perhaps. But Disco plays fast and loose with preceding canon. And knowing this show, it will turn out to be somehow related to Michael Burnham’s past.

The warp 5 speed limit was fixed by adjusting nacelles although beyond purely visual references they never explicitly spelled this out in the shows.

So what would happen if Tilly’s imaginary friend from season 2 met Lesley’s imaginary friend from the latest episode? Would it be a gatekeeper/keymaster kind of scenario?

So what would happen if Tilly’s imaginary friend from season 2 met Lesley’s imaginary friend from the latest episode? Would it be a gatekeeper/keymaster kind of scenario?

If that were to happen, I’m never fucking watching Kurtzman Trek again.

Another week, another episode of Star Trek Whisper-talk.

Well, if you cut out all of the fake emotionality, the ‘Michael, you always bring out THE BEST in people, because you are THE BEST’, the quivering lips and wet eyes, I thought that was halfway decent. What I can’t figure out is why it’s there in the first place. It just doesn’t add anything. It’s like there’s this one guy in the writer’s room who, whenever there’s a lull, uncertainty about how to finish a scene, is just like, and then they all BURST into TEARS and STARE into each others EYES and HUG and it’s really INTENSE and MEANINGFUL and then they TALK ABOUT HOW GREAT MICHAEL IS. And for some reason nobody tells him to shut up.

And the lampshading with the holo doc asking Michael about having strong emotional outbursts (or somesuch) just made it worse—because it means that on some level, the writers know they’re doing it, but they keep doing it.

I liked the geeking out about future Federation tech, but overall felt that the design just looked too generically future-y. ‘Be sure to include enough glowy floaty bits, because that way, it’ll look, like, really advanced’.

The Stamets/Tilly/Reno relationship is way too forced (but that’s true about pretty much every relationship on the show, it seems). And while I’m at it, I just keep getting reminded of how much I hate the damn spore drive. I hate the concept (and seriously, an entire galaxy full of intelligent civilizations hasn’t rediscovered a galaxy-wide yeast infection in a thousand years?), but even more the visual effect—why does the saucer section start rotating? Why does the ship then do a flip? Why does it drop down? It’s just terribly random. The Heart of Gold activating the infinite improbability drive made more sense.

I pretty well gave up on this show during the first season. Watched the 3rd season opener and it interested me enough to go back and get all caught up. Still lukewarm to it but I definitely like the direction it’s going. The upcoming spin-off sounds pretty interesting as well. I recall well how I didn’t care much for the first couple seasons of ST:TNG but I’m glad I stuck with it. I’m starting to feel good about the potential this show has.

I liked how Discovery mushroom jumped almost instantly after Michael beamed back alone from the space seed vault.

“Welcome back, Michael. Where’s Nhan?”
“Nhan isn’t com–”
“Black alert!”

What about the guy? “Sorry that your wife and kids are dead. I’ve unilaterally decided that I’m living with you now.”

First I wondered whether she was simply going AWOL. But I suppose she volunteered to safeguard an irreplaceable strategic Federation asset. In which case they should have posted three or four extra guys with her and not left her alone with a dangerous lunatic. Not to mention they could have tractored the entire vault into the hold and hauled it back, not left it floating “five months away” in the middle of a dilithium crisis around an unstable star that periodically scrambles all the plants’ (and humans’) DNA with dangerous radiation.

I think what bugs me the most about this episode was the scene as they entered the new Federation ‘space’ - they spot the new Constitution class, a few other ships - and Voyager -J

“Thats 10, no 11, generations of evelution”
“I know, can’t wait to hear those stories!”.

ODG - NO.

This episode was a little better than previous episodes, but still, as Star Trek goes, it was maybe a 3/10, 4/10. It could have gotten a passing grade but

1. They managed to throw in all kinds of fake emotion. The scene with Burnham and Nhan at the end was idiotic; we had no previous indication these two were close, or had ever had more than a few conversations related to their jobs, and now Nhan seems to think Burnham is the greatest humanoid who ever lived.

2. It makes no sense to me at all that the Federation, or Starfleet, is off hiding somewhere. Why? Why are they hiding? Why do they exist? Why are these people joining Starfleet? What’s their resource base?

I didn’t really need these questions answered about Starfleet before because it was just obvious; Starfleet was the Federation’s military and exploration force, like the old Royal Navy. Its base was Federation planets, which of course is where their resources and people came from, and is why it existed. They didn’t need anyone to come out and SAY that because the structure of the universe just made obvious logical sense. So why is there a Starfleet now? Why did it leave Earth? I have no confidence this question will ever be answered. Starfleet appears to have left Earth just to give USS Discovery something to do.

1. Honestly, the resistance of Discovery’s people to being told what to do is so fucking irritating. “No! We must stick together! We’re a family! And we’ll decide what we do!” Shut the fuck up and follow orders, and seriously, why does Saru trust Burnham? Why is Burnham so unprofessional?

So basically this season is Gene Roddenberry’s Andromeda, but set actually set in the Trek continuity instead of a facsimile of it? Earth withdrawing from the Federation feels like England leaving the UK, or Russia leaving the USSR. Also what’s up with the Trill? Didn’t DS9 establish that like 75% of the population can joint with a symbiote, but it’s a state secrete to avoid turning the symbiotes into commodities?

At least the Trill business might be justified by the passage of time.

I’m so glad to read these peeks at what Star Trek has become because you all have saved me precious hours I will not waste watching the rest of Season 1 as well as Seasons 2 and 3. The one thing I hate most in ST is time travel because it’s a well they just keep drinking from and can’t seem to stop. It was bearable the couple of times they used it in TOS butafter ST IV I was done. I hated the Xindi, I hated the alternate Pine as Kirk universe created by more time shenanigans and I now officially hate Discovery. Thank you all, as my other hobbies have just gained many hours of joy.

If you’re trying to make Michael cry, you had her at “I’m so glad.”