Star Trek: The old and the New

Just watch out if Spock starts growing a goatee…

But anointedness sucks, for dramatic purposes. Plotlines that make no sense don’t gain automatic significance just because the anointed ones are involved. In fact, too many movies use the crutch that the only reason the story has any significance is that the anointed ones are involved, and since anointedness is forever, the roles the characters have related to other are forever, too. I thought it was refreshing to see newSpock beat newKirk half to death (frankly because newKirk kinda pisses me off), suggesting the new idea that these men will not be lifetime friends, but then oldSpock keeps interrupting and saying the newSpock and newKirk have a destiny… oy. Way to abort your franchise’s potential to be exciting and different, there.

Similarly, Neo was the anointed character of the Matrix trilogy, which meant he had to follow a preset destiny-heavy path that took all tension out of the story and left us with something that was supposed to be deep but was instead incoherent, because something that just made sense would have been too ordinary.

No, they had to make it abundantly clear that this is all an alternate time-line, or else they’ll have the least enjoyable Star Trek convention in history converge on their studio lot.

Well, it was really just a fun little question when I posted it. Unless they plan on making a new TV show, its all just pie in the sky. Personally I’d rather they came up with new stuff than rehash the old stuff.

Well, maybe they could keep the space hippies. :slight_smile:

Does he look as cool as Ricardo Montalban when he’s a hundred years old without a shirt?
:dubious:

:slight_smile:

Yes, real and spectacular.

[Kirk]I have never doubted your Trek judgement…Until now.[/Kirk]

I thought including Nimoy in the 2009 movie was fantastic. It was just the right touch for me. One more original cast member would’ve tipped the balance too much - and if you get just one, Spock is the best choice.

In the end, Nimoy-Spock states that’s he’s spending the time he has to help his people, and if that’s the last we see of him on the big screen, it is a very fitting farewell. One of his biggest goals in the movie was to get Kirk and young Spock to become a space-faring, ass kicking, duo. So it’s an easy handwave to say that he’ll keep the knowledge he has about the future to himself – which would be somewhat limited anyhow, as his future might not mesh so well with this alternate future.

I kinda like these Klingons. I’m pretty sure the mask comes off.

Not exactly. J.T. Kirk can be heard calling out the name Johnny as he drives past.

It’s true that the actor filmed scenes as George, but they and the character were cut from the film. That doesn’t mean George couldn’t appear in a sequel, probably played by a different actor, but he has not yet been established.

Meh.
They did it for money, not art.
Bear in mind that Shtaner refused to wear the EDIC thingie, but Nimoy did not.
It got Mrs. Plant to go. My step daughter was present, and I explained that due to my having seen spoilers Mrs. Plant would probably eviscerate the person sitting next to her, Step Daughter would sit between us. :slight_smile:

IDIC. Infinite Diversity through Infinite Combinations.

ETA: I am such a loser.

Thanks. I don’t suppose this could be our little secret, hunh? :slight_smile:

One big difference, that really bugs me, is that in the new universe the powers that be are a bunch of boobs, while in TOS StarFleet, while not perfect, was pretty with it. I think it comes from Roddenberry actually being in the Navy, and understanding the military, while the new people just don’t get it. The old Kirk was a genius, but he also was a great captain from experience and from having made plenty of mistakes as he came up. The new Kirk just got anointed because he was the star and they figured the audiences would be bored with him putting in his apprenticeship. I hope in the next movie he has to face his lack of experience, but I doubt it. And don’t get me started on the new Spock…

I believe he was in the US Army Air Corps. Flew B-17s or B-24s.
Come to think of it, he was a motorcycle cop too, chased some guy down to give him a script, or is that a UL?

I may be wrong, but I am getting a sense that they (Paramount?) want to move away from thinking of Star Fleet as a classic military type organisation.

The captain of the Kelvin verbally “appoints” Kirk (Jimmy’s dad) to be the captain while he’s away, and Captain Pike “appoints” Spock as C.O., and J. T. Kirk as X.O. when he leaves.

If there was a rigid (well defined, military style) chain of command on the ship, promotions/appointments would be unecessary to state, and appointing Kirk (who was pretty much just a stowaway) as X.O. would be contrary to that (presumadely already established prior to Earth departure) chain of command. Pike doesn’t inform anyone else, either.

“Hey Fred? Yeah… it’s me. Fine, you? Oh, by the way, just so you know, I’m doing a little field promotion here, giving this stowaway slash cadet the Executive Officer job. Now Fred… Fred… hold on Fred. Yes, I still like you… Fred, tears aren’t necessary, and this begging is unseemly.”

However, if there was no real military style rank structure, then these scenes would make at least slightly more sense. The Star Fleet beaucracy appoints Pike as Captain, and he is free to pick and choose from a pool of folks, and fit them into job slots. (They still call him “Admiral” Pike, or whatever. Maybe for pay scale purposes? :stuck_out_tongue: ) Almost like the Post Master General is not really a General (in the Army).

That story was in Shatner’s book, FWIW.

You’re not wrong, just ~22 years slow.

Thanks.

Surely you remember the motorcycle cop in Star Trek: 90210? :slight_smile: