Star Trek: The old and the New

Story of my life.

It’s not top-level canon, but the novelization makes clear that Spock Prime will be doing everything he can to record what he knows before he kicks the bucket. Which is, of course, the only logical course of action. Things like the Planet Eater, the Borg, the Guardian of Forever, Q, the Bajoran wormhole, and probably the S.S. Botany Bay are all things that should be unaffected by the change in timeline, and many of them represent dire threats that were addressed in the Prime timeline only by the good fortune of having Kirk, Picard, or Sisko in the right place at the right time.
Powers &8^]
P.S. and not to mention the damn humpback whale probe.

I thought he was a Navy Pilot. If he was in the Army Air Corp, he at least served with naval people. He was indeed a cop. I remember the story, but have no idea of its truth.

True, but this was worse. As far as I can tell they are going to have as much military discipline as a bunch of kids on a roadtrip to spring break in Ft. Lauderdale.

I have horrible visions of Uhura passing beers up to Sulu at the helm of a war seven Enterprise…I shall not sleep tonight, and I blame you.

US Army Air Corps.
The article says he served in the Pacific Theater, so he probably was involved with Navy people.

I’m guessing Operation Annihilate would be quite literal, they’d just stop the spread of the parasites by nuking them from orbit. That or someone on the science team would remain cured, but blind.

The Menagerie could happen, Pike left the Enterprise healthy enough to run a training ship in TOS continuity. No reason why he can’t hop out of the fat and back into the frying pan.

Amok Time won’t need to happen with any remaining Vulcan female, because NuSpock doesn’t seem to mind who he gets it on with now :stuck_out_tongue:

The Ceti Eel larvae were supposed to wrap around the cerebral cortex (without spilling a lot of blood en route from the ear) making the subject rather susceptible to orders. The Centaurian slugs were simply supposed to thrash their way out of any enclosed space (according to the new DVD extras) so were a form of torture rather than manipulation.

He was an Army Air Corps pilot, flew B-17s at least. He was a civilian airline pilot between that and becoming a police officer. The way I heard that last bit, he came into a restaurant and handed a script to someone from a studio while in uniform, then took off again.

I’d rather they not rehash the old TOS plots. I don’t want to see Khan again–what would be the point? I can see Khan all I want right now (and who would be better than Montalban?). I would prefer an entirely different time line, but with the same characters and relational dynamics. We could lose Sulu and Chekov and that stupid animal of newScotty. (never a big fan of Sulu or Chekov).

I liked the reboot. Forget the ridiculous plot and its holes. They got the chemistry right between the Big 3 and that matters. BUT–newKirk is waaaaay too cocky w/o cause in this movie. I also hope he truly faces his limitations in the next film. I know this franchise plays to adolescent male fantasies and all, but dayum–don’t some of them at least acknowledge that intelligence, knowledge and procedure matter? Kirk Prime was well rounded (he read those “long hairs” ie the philosophers), cultured, and a gentleman. He could be (and was) also a man of action, a formidable opponent and not above using women to get what he needed (whatever that may have been). This newKirk is none of those. For me, it’s the meshing of the renaissance man (Kirk Prime) with the “fantasy” of space (ok, sci/fi, but really, they’re mostly adventure stories) that appeals to me.

I really don’t want to see the franchise turned into Starfleet Goes On Spring Break! but I have my fears that it will…

And what is this about Shatner wanting to be in the movie but wouldn’t wear something? Someone catch me up, please!

Nor I. Mrs. Plant would kill somebody.

In the series episode Is There No Truth In Beauty? Nimoy wore the IDIC necklace after Shatner refused. It was an advertising ploy of Roddenberry’s so that replicas of it could be sold.

Right–I knew about that (I just read Shatner’s book), but didn’t remember what it was called. I am confused: I thought someone upthread said that Shatner turned down a role in this reboot because of the IDIC medal.

Oh, wait. :smack: I get it now. Never mind…

I am reading Ashes of Eden right now. The ghostwriter (or Shatner-whomever) has annoying way of rendering every sentence its own paragraph. To add emphasis. And perhaps build suspense. It gets annoying. See what I mean?

But the plot is pretty good and what the hell, eh.

I think Shatner was angry that he wasn’t asked to be in the movie.

I don’t think so. He killed off Kirk and it would have made the reboot that much more convoluted to have included him.

Shatner is pushing hard to be in the next one, after it being initially reported by others and denied by him that he turned down being in this last one.

Frankly, he’s such a glory and attention hog that I think he did it deliberately just to get his name in the papers again and try to give him some monetary leverage.

I have NO interest in seeing him in the next one or any other reboot timeline sequel.

So you want him… GONE!
GONE!

GONE!

Right?

You want intelligence and knowledge? Correct procedure: let Spock handle it. And let Scotty in on the action if it’s an engineering question; problem solved, whatever it was. McCoy is the go-to guy for medical questions, Uhura deciphers stuff, Sulu has fencing – but, really, if you’ve got Spock and Scotty in your brain trust, you’re pretty much good to go.

Anybody watched this with the Rifftrax yet? Any good?

I don’t know. Without the timeline crossover, I don’t think I would have accepted the destruction of Vulcan being permanent, nor Kirk’s assholery. It would have been too much change for the new characters. With the timeline crossover, they can make the timeline change do what whatever they want.

And, if you are going to crossover the timeline, you have to have something that represents the old timeline, or its pointless. A character from the past is an excellent way to pull that off. (We knew nothing about Nero, so he wouldn’t work.)

Baloney. Kirk did plenty and also held all these (sometimes) disruptive factions together. Spock when he was in command, failed to inspire loyalty in his crew, and his logical decisions almost got the crew killed. Kirk is key. He just needs to be LESS of a teen male wank-fest and more of the hero that he is. It’s not enough to be cocky and get lucky (with women and on the bridge)–Kirk Prime had remarkable intelligence, gallantry and decorum, as well as balls. Kirk 2 has balls. IOW, the writers need to give more depth to this character.
I highly doubt Shatner wants in on the next one. He is 79 years old. I don’t get the hate for Shatner. Sure, he’s got a big ego. But he was (and is) rightly protective of his character (as is Spock and all the others). I agree with Nimoy–he (in an interview) says that ST:TOS owes a great debt to Shatner for bringing what he did to the show and the films.

Well the same story with present day CGI would be a thing of beauty. Genesis, mano-y-mano starships wailing on each other at point blank without sheilds, whats not to love.

As we were fond of saying in the BG threads…MORE SPLODEY. A Wrath of Khan Redux would be an excellent vehicle, original charachters or not.

I’m sure I don’t remember the lines correctly, but here goes:

Real Trek:
Spock: He is quite intelligent, but not experienced. He evidences two dimensional thinking.
Kirk: Down 2000 meters
Trek 90210:
Spock:He is quite intelligent, but not experienced.
Kirk: So? Neither am I.
Spock:He evidences two dimensional thinking.
Kirk: Say what?

Kahn: Fire!