Star Wars background question: are Strom Troopers Clone Troopers and where did the droid army go?

They sure look like Clone Troopers with updated armor. And episodes 1 through 3 are stuffed with battle droids—whey did they stop using them? I’m asking from a backstory/canon perspective; I know why eps 4-7* the movies* didn’t have battledroids.

Apparently SW:TFA stormtroopers are conscripted in infancy and raised in a military-immersion environment.

Seems the Jango Fett clones had a flaw involving being extra-tasty to Saarlacs…

Some kid found out that if you blow up one (1) ship, all the droids on the planet fall flat on their faces.

The Clone Troopers had an in-built flaw, that of being programmed to implement Order 66. Presumably even the Emperor was wise enough to know programmable soldiers could be subsequently used against him. In any case, all Clone Troopers were hunted down. They touch on that a little in the Star Wars Rebels animated TV series.

Strom Troopers, while especially long-lived, were ultimately too narrow-minded to survive in the bold new multicultural Galactic Empire.

As I recall, the battle droids were ordered shut down when the Confederacy of Independent Systems was defeated. I don’t remember if this was a line from Episode III itself, or from its novelization.

slow clap What there you did , see it, did I…

I think the EU-not necessarily canon answer is that the clones started to degrade over time as more and more clones were made, and eventually the cloners rebelled against the Empire and were destroyed.

The battle droids belonged to the Separatists, who were defeated at the end of Episode 3. The Empire’s use of droids seems to have always been relatively limited (stuff like the probe droids, where using people is not feasible).

ETA: Which really makes a lot of sense. A galaxy-wide empire would probably have a population in the trillions. Life is cheap. Droids are expensive.

Hmm…I would have thought battle droids would be a lot cheaper over the long run? No need for food/housing…when not in use they’re simply turned off. If damaged their bodies could be salvaged for parts.

Kind of like how in the manufacturing sector of our North American economy many people have been replaced by robots?

Speak for yourself!

Robots only became attractive when labor started getting expensive. The early days of the Industrial Revolution were crammed-full of jobs that basically amounted to standing by a machine pulling a lever for 12 hours a day. Idiot jobs that you could literally train a monkey to do, but mechanization cost more than human labor.

The Stormtroopers would seem to be the stereotypical poorly-trained mooks. The Empire is like China: they have plently of people, and they can always find more warm bodies to throw into the meat grinder, so there’s not much incentive to use robots.

I imagine that the Trade Federation probably had a ton of money, but it wouldn’t be the sort of group that would get a lot of loyalty. (I mean, imagine Wells Fargo bank or Amazon.com trying to recruit volunteers for an army.) So, using droids made more sense for them.

“A copy of a copy, ever you made, hmm?”

The state of South Carolina salutes you.

Not sure that an organization that can build not one but two Death Stars is really hurting for spending money. And how expensive can droids be when some penniless urchin living on a godforsaken desert planet can cobble one together out of, apparently, spare parts.

I don’t know if there’s a good answer on this.

Basically, you have to accept that the Star Wars canon wants the Old Republic to be technologically superior to the Empire period. Other than a few increases in size (Imperial Star Destroyers, every bit of technology in the original movies is worse than a comparable item from the Old Republic. The Death Star was supposedly designed by the separatists before the Old Republic fell, so it was retconned into that world view as well. Heck, even lightsabers aren’t all that special in the Old Republic

So, no battle droids because of writer fiat - technology has to run downhill and it ran down past the point where droids were effective in battle.

Likewise, no clones. While there are some explanations, it’s basically because of writer fiat - technology has to run downhill. (There’s certainly no financial explanation - TFA stormtroopers have to be the most expensive soldier ever fielded, since they had to be raised from childhood.)

TFA just follows the trend. R2 is something like 70 years old now and still considered a top of the line droid. X-Wings are still better than TIE fighters.

That actually makes sense; certainly everyone we’ve seen in the Empire/post-Empire period seems to be living in one extended depression-Era. Luke’s aunt and uncle seemed to be barely scraping by on their dust bowl farm, Yoda lived in a shack in a swamp, and Rey’s existence was one step away from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (and that’s about all we’ve seen of day-to-day life in the post Old Republic period). All the machinery seems pretty clapped out, broken, and recycled.

Certainly, if you’re going to have malevolent political entities continually blowing up planets and eliminating ruling bodies wholesale, it’s going to be hard to keep an economy ticking over.

No one ever said that R2 is a “top of the line droid.” It seems he’s being kept around more out of sentimentality, because he’s a link to the missing Luke Skywalker.

Both the X-wing and the TIE fighter designs have obviously been tweaked/upgraded? since we last saw them in SWIII. Both got their licks in during the battle over Starkiller Base; given an average pilot, I don’t think we can be sure that one is better than the other.

Also, the New Republic is not necessarily an economic basket case; we’ve just seen some particularly backward (i.e. dramatically-interesting) places. The city on the world which the First Order destroyed looked big, prosperous and modern. I wouldn’t read too much into still using old designs of warcraft, either - we still use B-52 bombers, the earliest models of which first took to the air when Harry Truman was in the White House, because they’re good planes, well-suited to their missions.

Yep. This was, by some, seen as the clearest direct break from the prequels.