Starship Simulator - singleplayer Elite Dangerous?

First look video for a new game I’ve heard nothing about:

Yet another Space Simulator, but this one seems really interesting.

The question is whether like most recent space sims they overpromise and underdeliver, or if they can live up to this hype.

Oh boy, apparently there is a Kickstarter.

I hope this won’t be a Star Citizen type scam.

Interesting. I have always wanted to get into Elite Dangerous but I hate multiplayer.

This is definitely a wait-and-see thing for me. I hope they pull it off.

Just so you’re aware, multiplayer mode is not required. I play in a private group which keeps out the trolls & griefers; there’s also a solo mode.

I’ve never been able to get a handle on what the single player game is.

It seems it is mainly multiplayer (I did not know you could play with private groups). Near as I can tell single player is just flying around the universe hauling cargo. I didn’t see there is much more game there for a solo player. Maybe NPC pirates? Not even sure about that. So, I steered clear.

Is single player worthwhile? I miss space sims.

NPC pirates or aliens (aliens are optional), participating in ship vs. ship civil wars, running missions for various minor factions, simply hauling goods and/or passengers from one point to another…

As I said, I’m in a private group but I hardly ever see anyone else outside of community goals (i.e.: special missions which encourage participation from all players) so it’s not that much different from solo. Part of the reason for this is that, in the words of Douglas Adams, space is big – this game has the entire Milky Way to play in.

I’ve played over 3600 hours in the Steam version; my actual playtime is more than that because I started out buying the game from Frontier Developments. Picked up the Steam version on sale and created an alt for exploration but I’ve been playing my main most of the time through there.

The base game can drop to $6 on Steam or $11.24 for base + Odyssey, which opens more play options, including ground combat.

One of the big activities in Elite Dangerous is exploration. Lots of players focus on this, some spending months or even years at a time ‘out in the black’. The galaxy is rendered full size with billions of star systems to explore. This is mostly a solo activity.

There is plenty else to do solo, its a shared universe but you do not have to interact with other players if you don’t want to. Even if you do want to interact with others, you need to go to the very most popular systems or plan with a wing private group.

This starship simulator seems to be inspired by the exploration aspect of ED, with other civilizations to interact with. Elite’s universe is pretty sterile, with only one other active civilization in the whole galaxy and one dead civilization. Thi game is also intending to have added detail to ship interior and management; which is something a lot of people have wanted from Elite.

I actually posted a thread about backing Video Game Kickstarters inspired by this game because it looks pretty cool.

I mentioned in another thread the Starsector dev version is available, and fun. That’s a top-down view of exploration and combat, though, not an attempt to be like Elite: Dangerous.

$6 / $10 right now* – dunno for how long – if anyone wants to give Elite Dangerous a try.

*My mistake, the Odyssey price is just for the DLC; the Deluxe Edition is the one that includes both.

BTW: the game is more newbie-friendly than it was when I first started; for example, all new characters start out in a permit-locked region and the permit is revoked upon obtaining their second rank.

I don’t think it’s going to be like Star Citizen because their team will be a lot smaller. But I just hope their goals aren’t too ambitious. The seamless galaxy, planetary landings, the ship being fully modeled down to each bolt, and having a crew that can run everything all appeal to me.