Starting my own line of stationary

As a graphic artist… an experience one at that… we are used to dealing with clients that have ideas solid as air. That’s our job to bring their imagination to life. We sit down… and we know what to ask. Upon each and every answer, we fill in a void that eventually paints an image in “our” mind… which does no good to those that are not in the field. From there, we make magic evolve. Hence the term, concept to creation…

Any reputable and proud graphic artist can do this for you… and are WILLING. However, let me clarify that graphic artists are NOT Walmart workers. The customers are NOT always right in this situation. We pride ourselves in our work… and if we feel our work does not suit the situation, we have the right to bail.

To the poster that mentioned and implied that just because somebody pays me money to perform a service, that means that I should work on my knees if I had to, that is WRONG. Money doesn’t talk in our circle. We work in a digital world, meaning our potential clientele is limitless. So, just because you’re paying me, doesn’t mean I’m your slave… you know why? Because you don’t pay me until I am done, and BEFORE I am done (before I am paid as well), I have the right to do whatever I please.

Ok I see what you’re saying but if they create something and it’s not how I want it then they have to keep designing and working towards the image, if they want to, as you said they can always bail out.

eep I would find this attitude scary if I come across it in real life. I am very controlling. It almost makes me want to go through graphic design training to eventually create the image myself! But these situations are hypothetical right now.

I hope that when I find someone they will work with me on this because it might turn ugly! Again hypothetical though.

I think that if a customer wants an exact image and will pay the designer for bringing the image to life then the customer is always right because if the designer gets it wrong, they get it wrong.

Oh and of course I understand if asking a designer to create something which is out of their field then they should abandon the project because theres no point working with someone who doesn’t get what you’re after or doesn’t want to get it.

Thanks to this thread I now have clear steps in my head as to how to go about everything. Although may remember something else I need to ask and am bound to come back.

Better print this page off in case the board gets swallowed up!