Static electricity is ruining my coffee!

Well, it’s annoying me a little bit.

I grind the beans in a burr grinder, which imparts an electric charge to the grounds and makes them cling to the sides of the grinder receptacle. If I try to pour them into the espresso basket, they go everywhere and make a mess. I can’t scoop them out because they’re stuck to the sides. The charge disappears if I let them sit a while, but I like it fresh.

Any ideas? Should I be making my coffee in a Faraday cage?

wrap a fabric softener sheet around the outside of the receptacle?

Dryer sheets would have to actively touch the grounds or the walls of the container, probably with heat applied to make any difference. None of those things would be good for the coffee.

I’m going to suggest this grinder. I have no idea if it solves your problem but Holy Crap, a $1300 coffee grinder :eek:

Dump the grinder receptacle contents into another container first, and then scoop the ground beans out of that container. It helps greatly if you always some grinds in that container, so when you do for the first time do at least two batches.

I brush mine into the receptacle with a little brush made for the purpose (I got it from Starbucks). Would that work?

Sounds like your grounds aren’t properly grounded.

I was going to suggest one of those straps we were supposed to wear when dealing with MOSFETs and stuff. Wrap it around the grinder.

I see what you did there.

I usually dump it into a tupperware container because it’s a little easier to scoop from and I usually have a little bit left over. But it doesn’t make much difference - it just clings to the sides of whatever I dump it in. Maybe there’s a better material that would dissipate the charge?

I don’t like grinding double because I want (most of) the grounds to be fresh.

I’d think the brush would, if anything, add charge through more friction. Does it seem to work for you?

Hmmm, I think it might clash with my gold-plated espresso machine and diamond-encrusted cups.

I’d think the grinder is already pretty well grounded. Maybe around whatever I pour the grounds into? Would it help if I pour it into something conductive?

(And if this works, I’ll cut you in on the profits of the Grinder Grounder®.)

And no traditional dosing hopper!

Does it plug into the wall, or does it have a crank?

It’s an electric grinder.

If the plug has only two prongs, and they are the same size, try turning the plug over. I doubt that the container is grounded, and it probably shouldn’t be. :slight_smile:

What if you stuck a coil of aluminum foil or copper wire in the bin?

I don’t think that grounding something that has 220v in it is a good idea. :slight_smile:
Let’s forget that. How about touching it to the faucet before you grind?

What if you oiled the grinder before you ground? People like to put coconut oil in their coffee, perhaps you could put a dab of coconut oil in the grinder, give it a whirl, then put your beans in there and see if it all comes out smoothly?

We use a little brush to get our grounds out of the grinder. Never had a problem with it.

Just make sure you always wipe to the left.

Unless you’re feeling frisky, of course.