females make 12 unsuccessful attempts, before thier
statistical completion rates.
For those who do complete suicide, males attempt
it 3 times less than females.
The number of attempts for females who succeed is less than
the number of male successes.
23,458:17,223
27.6% more suicides are completed by males; than the total
of all attempts by females who complete suicide.
For every female completion, there are 4 male completions.
1 in 62 living Americans have survived a suicide attempt;
females represent 80% of this population.
1 in 78 living Americans are females who have
survived a suicide attempt.
1 in 310 living Americans are males who have
survived a suicide attempt.
Males represent 80% of all completed suicides
in America.
Females represent 93% of all uncompleted suicides in America.
1 in 6 males who commit suicide, do so from the ages of 15-24.
1 in 7 of all suicides are commited by males aged 15-24.

Ages 65+ commit 20% of all suicides (19.1% or something… male…)

Numbers are rounded, when people are metioned. Discrepancies for these roundings make some of the other percentages seem scewed, this is because the roundings incresed male odds, rather than decreased them, and decreased female odds rather than increased them. (lots of: Male 7.8, Female 95.4 etc… I would enter it as: male: 8, female: 95).

-Justhink

1. Source?
  2. Your point?

Not being an expert on statistics but don’t the two stats quoted contradict?

(I also echo Coldfire’s comments)

I should have added it at the time, sorry. The figure is actually very close to 80% is all the failed attempts from females who inevitably succeeded are removed. In terms of straight number of failures; the number is 92-93%.

This is actually a statistical link that was promped by a post I made in a GD thread about male vs. female ‘superiority’. I asserted my intuitions, and someone remarked that it was HIGHLY speculative, and would I be so kind as to provide any evidence as to why I believe males are given the existential burden of western society, and why this pressure makes them statistically more likely to formulate higher abstraction skills than females.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133527

I added ‘a’ theory, because it became quite obvious that the OP wasn’t going to provide one, or any compelling evidence in regards to their ‘theories’ provided. It was a fine line between discerning whether this post was a hijack or not, so I figured it’d be appropriate as a MPSIMS!

Apologies in advance, thanks

Oh wait: Sources… umm… just about every single official government census on the suicide rates compiled for every year, and trends. I calculated some of the statistics myself in cases where they weren’t figured for whatever reason (it becomes obvious how to figure them, someone just didn’t take the time to do some of them.).

Again, I MORE than recommend a Meta search engine like Web Ferret (which is a free download), for anyone who is a source freak. You’ll turn up more sources in one click for this topic than you will even want to read, redundancies etc… the sources are COMMON on the web. I did have to DL Adobe, as most of them were university (.edu) .pdf format…

-Justhink

I should have added it at the time, sorry. The figure is actually very close to 80% if all the failed attempts from females who inevitably succeeded are removed. In terms of straight number of failures; the number is 92-93%.

This is actually a statistical link that was promped by a post I made in a GD thread about male vs. female ‘superiority’. I asserted my intuitions, and someone remarked that it was HIGHLY speculative, and would I be so kind as to provide any evidence as to why I believe males are given the existential burden of western society, and why this pressure makes them statistically more likely to formulate higher abstraction skills than females.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133527

I added ‘a’ theory, because it became quite obvious that the OP wasn’t going to provide one, or any compelling evidence in regards to their ‘theories’ provided. It was a fine line between discerning whether this post was a hijack or not, so I figured it’d be appropriate as a MPSIMS!

Apologies in advance, thanks

Oh wait: Sources… umm… just about every single official government census on the suicide rates compiled for every year, and trends. I calculated some of the statistics myself in cases where they weren’t figured for whatever reason (it becomes obvious how to figure them, someone just didn’t take the time to do some of them.).

Again, I MORE than recommend a Meta search engine like Web Ferret (which is a free download), for anyone who is a source freak. You’ll turn up more sources in one click for this topic than you will even want to read, redundancies etc… the sources are COMMON on the web. I did have to DL Adobe, as most of them were university (.edu) .pdf format…

-Justhink

“Your ideas intrigue me and I’d like to subscribe to your newsletter.”