Statuary coinage: show me the money

I got curious about how many statues of coins there were. I managed to find seven.

This one I knew about before googling, so it’s probably the most famous. Despite the fact that it’s a replica of a 1951 nickel, it was actually built in the 1960s. Not the oldest one out there, but at 9 meters across, is probably the biggest.

Bitg Penny in Woodruff WI. This one probably is the oldest, although I’ll admit I haven’t checked all their dates. But it was built in 1953.

Big Loonie, Echo Bay ON. Up near Sault Ste Marie.

Another big loonie, Churchbridge SK. Only this one doesn’t have a loon. It’s a commemorative coin for the 125th anniversary of Canada.

Big toonie, Campbellford ON

Big Penny, Salmo BC. Sort of abstract in that it doesn’t have all the details the actual coin has.

Big Quarter, Everett PA

So any others out there? Maybe somewhere other than Canada or the US.

Batman’s always had a giant penny in his basement rumpus room…

Maybe Canadians just like big coins, for some reason?
Big Maple Leaf:

Australian version (don’t strain your back lifting it):

No good pictures of it in the article.

When I see these, I want to build a really, really huge vending machine.

That one’s not a statue. It’s a real coin, legal tender and all.

It’s not real, but in the other thread where giant coins came up I had to bring up the Giant Penny trophy in the Batcave

It’s mentioned in the first reply. :slight_smile:

This claims to be a giant wooden coin, but it doesn’t have an obvious face:

Lateral answer to the question, but there’s the stone money of Yap, an island state of Micronesia.

They’re not really “statues” but actual currency that is still occasionally used for traditional or ceremonial exchanges. The stone they are made from does not originate on the island and thus needed to be found abroad and imported on a raft, at great trouble and danger, which accounted for much of their value. Because of their size it is impractical to physically move them, but ownership is public knowledge and everyone just knows who owns which stones.

Yeah, but, as I mentioned it in the other thread, I felt I had to here as well.

Article from the Royal Canadian Mint on the million dollar coin:

Canadian Coins, Gold, Silver & More | The Royal Canadian Mint.

Five have been minted; one was stolen (by a giant who picked it up and put it in his pocket).

Not coinage but giant paper currency

There used to be a giant $1 bill painting on the wall outside the Cahier’s office in building 10 at MIT. It disapopeared when they movred that office and turned the space into a lounge. But they kept a small reproduction of it around

http://hacks.mit.edu/Hacks/by_year/2005/goodbye_dollar_bill/

Hackers covered it one year with a $10,000 bill, more in line with MIT tuition
http://hacks.mit.edu/Hacks/by_year/1993/10K_bill/

Possibly inspired by the MIT dollar bill, someone at the University of Rochester painted a dollar bill on the wall of one of the many U of R tunnels going under the Commons. It was subject to constant grafitti, so he used to go down and scrub it off (sometimes with a propane torch) and repaint it. When William E. Simon, the Secretary of the Treasury gave a lecture at the University, they had him come down into the tunnels and sign it. Some people argued that this made it “legal tender”. Although it’d be hard to spend.

Like the MIT painting, though, it’s gone now. There’s a picture of Simon siging the Rochester dollar bill on page 92 here

http://waterworkshistory.us/UR/2000BesideTheGenesee.pdf

Well, to be fair, they didn’t have very much room to fit in fine details. If they had included all of the details, some of them would only be a few inches across.

I used the wrong term. “Abstract” is not quite what I meant. What’s missing is a row of dots around the outside, the raised edge, and the initials of the designer. But there are other things wrong. The typeface of the lettering is wrong is probably the main one. Here’s a picture of what a real Canadian penny looked like:

BTW, here’s a better picture of the Dime Box:

Just like BitCoin!