"Stay with us!" -- a trope?

We’ve all seen the scenes where someone lies probably dying, and anyone there makes it a big point to encourage the victim to stay conscious. Is there anything in that or is it just another trope? My tvtropes-fu isn’t up to the challenge.

I’ve certainly heard and read that people with a positive outlook on their health issues do better than those with negative ones. But does it really help to keep a wounded and possibly dying person conscious?

Are EMS people trained to try to keep a victim conscious?

Thanks!

Many moons ago I had basic CPR training where they stressed that a victim who can tell you what happened, where things hurt, what they have taken, etc. is 1000 times better than one who cannot. If they cannot tell you what is wrong, you have to start guessing.

I think How Dare You Die on Me! is closest (but doesn’t seem to be gender neutral). There are others, but they mostly involve being left behind and such not dying specifically. I get the impression too that it’s especially important in assessing the injury, not that they’ll die immediately upon losing consciousness. In some forms of brain surgery, they give the patient local anesthetic and they’re awake because they need to make sure you’re reacting well and not losing function. The scalp has pain receptors, the brain does not.

That’s a valid point, but isn’t the case in all the movie and TV scenes I’m discussing, where the whole point of keeping someone “with me” is to keep him or her fighting for his or her life and not to die.

Yeah, I saw that. It’s closest but not very close. I’m a bit surprised it’s not covered, since it’s so common on TV shows.

Thanks! That is exactly the question, and firmly supports the position that it’s just a trope, right along with good guys who knock people out so they can take them out of the picture without being murderers. At least the latter simplifies a lot of plot issues. The “stay with me” one is just a silly bit of melodrama.

Also, it might be more of a cliché than a trope. Evidently I don’t have quite the right definition in mind for “trope”.

If you use the definition of “trope” that’s used in TVTropes, then it is a trope: