Staying in the water helps you lose weight

Or so you’d think. It would seem that water would cause your body heat to be leached off more rapidly, and that your body has to work harder to maintain body heat.

However, this apparently doesn’t work. What’s the flaw in this logic?

(And I’m not talking about staying in the water to the point of hypothermia.)

Ooooh! Oohh! I haven’t gotten to give a WAG today!

I’d think it has to do with the energy to fight gravity. Just keeping yourself upright without outside support probably burns more calories than simply floating in water.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

Are you talking about floating or swimming?

I surf very long hours here in california in 55 deg water with a wetsuit of course.

One does not lose weight however or I haven’t noticed. Mostly cause you have to use your muscles to stay afloat & so you get bigger muscles & muscles weigh more than fat, soo…

Which scenerio would burn more fat?

• 60 minutes of high intensity step aerobics.

• 60 minutes of running.

• 60 minutes of high impact water aerobics.

I have done all three and although the water is supposed to give the added resistance, I have never felt like I got as good of a workout with water aerobics.

The water keeps the body cool and you don’t sweat. Can you really burn fat in cool water or does the body need to heat up?

>^,^<
KITTEN
Coffee, chocolate, men . . . Some things are just better rich.

Let’s just say that by doing “nothing,” you’re burning about 100 calories per hour–that’s a very rough number, but it’s close enough.

If I’m doing “nothing” in the water (e.g., just sitting in the pool) does the body have to “rev up” and burn more than the 100 to maintain body heat?

Mjollnir,

It would seem that water would cause your body heat to be leached off more rapidly, and that your body has to work harder to maintain body heat.

Yep, that’s exactly what happens. I don’t recall the exact number of calories expended while scuba diving - and it will vary somewhat depending on conditions - but a figure often cited is about equivalent to jogging (maybe 1000 per hour?).
When diving in 50 degree F water wearing a full 7 mm wet suit, most people don’t feel cold initially, but after an hour or so underwater will begin to feel chilled.
The body is expending a good deal of energy to provide heat to replace the loss, and that translates to calories.

• Swimming is a poor way to lose weight, compared to other common excercises. (A couple posters who swam a lot noted they never seemed to lose much weight.) It has something to do with the fact that when in the water, you do indeed lose body heat much faster (the figure 60X comes to mind, but I’m not sure). The problem here is that this is really too fast, and your body automatically kicks into a sort of “carbo-mode” to avoid losing any of the fat it has, which would only increase the problem of regulating internal temperature.
      • This question was posted a while back; I found a few sites that said basically what I am saying, but someone else found a site that noted that the temperature of the water has much to do with how hard your body will try to retain fat. Presumably if you swim in the North Atlantic, you would lose fat very slowly, while in a heated pool you’d lose fat faster. - How much faster we don’t know; nobody could find any info on how warm the pool water should be to maximize fat loss. I would guess the closer to 98 degrees the better. I think I’ll stick to my stairmaster. - MC

Even in a typical heated pool your body sheds heat very quickly. As I recall, this causes your body to kick into a mode that retains the heat in your torso by cutting circulation to the extremities or something like that. And yeah, you don’t seem to shed fat very quickly that way.

Are you talking about losing weight or shedding fat?

Anyone else familiar with the charming little H.G. Wells short story, “The Truth About Pyecraft” ?

A massively overweight London clubman gets a magis formula for weight loss from an old gypsy woman, takes it, and finds himself as fat as ever, bobbing grotesquely around the ceiling of his flat because, of course, he lost weight. All of it. The narrator sternly reprimands him for coyly referring to fat as weight.

Uke

Well it is really hard to eat when you are in the…never mind!