STD - Clamydia

Anyone know the usual treatment for this disease?

A series of antibiotics for you and everyone you’ve slept with recently. Go see your doctor, or at least a local clinic.

Have you ever wondered if anyone has named her baby girl “Clamydia”?

:smiley:

God I hope not!

But I did go to high school with a girl named Candida, which I believe is the proper name for the fungus that causes yeast infections.:eek:

Antibiotics, basically. And treatment of sexual partners.

You can find more information here.

I was one of those lucky women who developed pelvic inflammatory disease as a consequence of contracting chlamydia, which meant 6 months on antibiotics, repeated white cell studies (not the most pleasant of tests), and a considerably increased risk of ectopic pregnancy.

Chlamydia is nasty because so often it’s asymptomatic.

The treatment, as stated, is antibiotics. Chlamydia is a contagious, sexually transmitted disease. Often, it causes no symptoms. However, it can cause unusual discharges, pain when peeing and abdominal pain. It can also cause infertility in women and for that reason, the fact it is underdiagnosed is a concern. A strong argument can be made for doing Chlamydia swabs during Pap testing on young women regardless of other risk factors. Gonorrhea often co-exists with Chlamydia, so one usually tries to treat both conditions.

The drug of choice for treating Chlamydia in Canada is a single dose of cefixime 400mg (Suprax) as well as 1-2 weeks of doxycycline 100mg twice a day. Many other regimes for treating both diseases exist, including ciprofloxacin (or similarly olfloxacin, norfloxacin) with doxycycline, azithromycin or Flagyl (metronidazole) for up to two weeks.

For treatment recommendations, look at:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines 2002. MMWR 2002;51(No. RR-6):32-36 which can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/rr5106.pdf.

The antibiotics recommended by the CDC are:

Recommended Regimens
Azithromycin 1 g orally in a single dose OR Doxycycline 100 mg orally twice a day for 7 days.

Alternative Regimens
Erythromycin base 500 mg orally four times a day for 7 days, OR Erythromycin ethylsuccinate 800 mg orally four times a day for 7 days, OR Ofloxacin 300 mg orally twice a day for 7 days, OR Levofloxacin 500 mg orally for 7 days.

Cefixime 400 mg as a single dose is a recommended treatment for gonorrhea but is not effective against chlamydia.

[hijack]
Dr_Paprika = can I just hijack this thread to thank you (and other medics) for all the time you spend giving such great medical advice and info? Thanks!
[/hijack]