STD Vaccines?

This thread reminded me of a question that’s been on my mind lately. There are vaccines for smallpox, polio, tetanus, etc… But have there ever been any attempts to create vaccines against STDs like gonorhea or syphillis? It seems like that would be a mojor market to drug companies. The US millitary would be extremely interested in keeping the boys fighting the enemy instead of the clap. Are there particular reasons why there aren’t any STD vaccines?

Many STDs such as syphillis are bacterial unlike the viral polio, smallpox, etc. so the only good vaccine would be an anti-biotic, but unless you already have the STD, this would be useless and create the risk of bacteria adapting to the anti-biotic.

AIDS research is progressing slowly but steadily and interestingly enough there may be a vaccine in the next four or five years for the Herpes virus and the HPV (warts) virus.

There are vaccines for some strains ofHepatitis, but they aren’t “lifelong” protection from what a Microbiologist explained to me, and the risks outweighed the benefits in her mind. She’d read the pamphlet on the shot, apparently her kid’s class was in a test group for the vaccine. She refused to consent to her child being vaccinated, saying it was insulting. “Like they’re going to play with their own poo, or share someone’s needle guaranteed!” she growled. ( The kids were grade schoolers, more than old enough to not be throwing poo around.)

That’s factually incorrect. You can make vaccines against bacterial infections - whooping cough, for instance, is caused by the bacteria Bordatella pertussis, and there’s a vaccine that’s routinely given to kids.

Also, antibiotics and vaccines are completely different things.

Oh snap!. I knew the difference between vaccines and antibiotics but not that there were vaccines for bacterial infections as well. Who knew cholera and typhoid fever were bacterial infections? (besides everybody)

The microbiologist was foolish, in my estimation. Vaccines against Hep B are definitely worth it, in terms of reduced morbidity and mortality from the disease. It’s quite safe and effective, even if the effectiveness might wear off in decades (my immunity from it is still going strong, over 20 years after my series!) And fulminant Hep B infections kill a significant number of people every year, and leave many more as chronic carriers who run the risk of cirrhosis, liver failure, and liver cancer as more time passes. Along with giving them the chance to infect others. So get yourself and your kids vaccinated against Hep B!

Hep A vaccines are good too, for at-risk individuals. But since it’s less likely to be fatal than Hep B, there’s not been such a push to vaccinate everyone against Hep A.

I just wish we could come up with a vaccine for Hep C. Now that disease is causing problems!