Stealing donated items - is there case law on this?

[QUOTE=Outpits]
Similarly, OP’s library could post a “no resale” requirement, requiring any borrower to return the book rather than sell it, but they must make that clear at the time of the exchange (probably a sign on the rack or a sticker on the book).
[/QUOTE]

It would take a lot more than that. As I said, the law doesn’t like restrictions on alienation.

[QUOTE=acsenray]
Books left in the hallway – take 'em if you want 'em? There’s no contract there.
[/QUOTE]

Quite so. No offense to my fellow book-lovers, but a book is not a living animal.

I don’t think there’s anything illegal, immoral or unethical about it, even though I find it personally distasteful to take something provided free to the public by a publicly-supported institution and sell it. I’d say that the guy himself wasn’t so sure how acceptable his re-selling scheme is, considering he cut the library stickers off.

Mods, could you close this thread? I have the answer. It IS from a lawyer and is based on case law.

Thanks.

whistlepig

whistlepig

Whistlepig, could you tell us the answer and the cited case then?