Steve Howe Killed in Car Crash. {troubled Baseball pitcher}

Steve Howe died at age48. 1980 NL Rookie ofthe Year.
Howe was 47-41 with 91 saves and a 3.03 ERA with the Dodgers, Twins, Rangers and Yankees. His final season in the majors was 1996, and the Yankees released him in June.
Two days after the Yankees let him go in 1996, Howe was arrested at a Delta Airlines terminal at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport when a loaded .357 Magnum was detected inside his suitcase.
He was suspended seven times for cocaine use.

In recent years, he owned an energy drink company in Arizona.
“I wish more people knew Steve Howe the way I knew him,” Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. “His struggles in life were well documented, but he always tried to fight through them and I will always respect that.”

Howe was killed at 5:55 a.m. PDT about 130 miles east of Los Angeles, said Dalyn Backes of the Riverside County coroner’s office. He had been in Arizona on business and was driving back home to Valencia, Calif., business partner Judy Welp said.

Toxicology tests had not yet been performed.

My regards to his family, a troubled soul but only did himself and his family harm with his addictions.

Jim

Too bad. Great talent. Given several chances and pissed them all away.

His family has every right to mourn for him, and I’ll let them.

But I have a hard time seeing him as “troubled.” He never showed the slightest remorse for anything he did. Rather, with the help of Gene Orza and Don Fehr, he fought consistently for his right to do whatever the hell he wanted without consequences.

I’d say he wasn’t so much “troubled” as selfish, stupid, arrogant and dangerous. I won’t say he deserved to die- I’m just glad he died alone, and didn’t take any innocents with him.

How many “lifetime bans” did he receive anyway?

According to baseballlibrary.com:

Troubled is just a polite term for players like Howe, Gooden & Straw.

Jim

You can’t blame anybody else for his problems, but it’s a shame.

Talk about a heart attack…at first I thought you meant the other Steve Howe!

I remember when Steve Howe #2 pitched for the Dodgers, though. Such a shame. Wasn’t he on the Simpsons, too?

When I read the headline I thought the same thing and had the same reaction. That’s why I made it clear in the Title. As a Yes fan, I didn’t want others to be shocked.
Somehow I don’t think Basaball’s Steve Howe dying young is a big surprise though it sounds like he had finally gotten control over his addictions.
The Homer at the Bat Episode did not have him.

I also thought first of Steve Howe of Yes and Asia fame…

Results are in. Howe had methamphetamine in his system. Here is the CNNSI story.

Your link was broken: try this:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/06/28/bc.bbo.howeautopsy.ap/index.html

So did I, even though I had just read about the toxicology report. :smack:

It’s hard to imagine “the other” Steve Howe winding up dead with methamphetamine in his system.

Bean sprouts and tofu, maybe…

“He PROMISED he’d lay off the sprouts, but 10 minutes later he was on the street corner where they hold the farmers’ market, scoring a big salad FULL of 'em!”